Celebrate the New Year, Russian-style
Experience the festive spirit – and spirited festivities – of the Russian New Year on this special Russian Highlights adventure. See Moscow’s famous Red Square and St Basil’s Cathedral under a layer of snow and vodka-toast the old year out with a Russian family, then toast the New Year in with champagne. See the glittering treasures of the Armoury Museum, visit the Russian Santa’s residence in Veliky Ustyug and be shown the sights of grand St Petersburg. This small group trip offers an unparalleled opportunity to witness Russia during this special time of the year.
Spend the festive season surrounded by the delights of a Russian winter wonderland
Uncover winter legends in the picturesque town of Velikiy Ustyug, home to the Russian Santa Claus Ded Moroz (Father Frost)
Experience the history and traditions of the Russian orthodox faith at this important celebratory time of year
Share in unique customs with locals on an overnight homestay in Suzdal. Lend a hand with a traditional feast and ring in the New Year with your hosts
This trip involves two very long (24 hour) overnight train journeys. Conditions are simple but comfortable – a truly Intrepid experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals.
You will get to experience a variety of accommodation – guesthouses, hotels, and overnight trains - allowing you to see different sides of Russian life.
You will be travelling during the Russian winter when it gets very cold, with temperatures dropping well below zero. Please make sure that you have adequate clothing for these conditions (coat, hat, scarf, gloves, base layer) and sturdy shoes suitable for ice and snow.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Highlights - New Year trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, but this doesn't include guesthouses and the overnight trains.
2. Please note in order for our local operator to book train tickets in Russia, we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name (First and Last)
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. There are minor itinerary differences between the 27th & 29th December departures due to the holidays falling in different destinations. Please see itinerary for more information. For a trip that includes both New Year and Russian Orthodox Christmas, please book the 29th December departure.
Our Russia Highlights - New Year trips score an average of 4.89 out of 5 based on 9 reviews in the last year.
I knew nothing about Russia, and was a little anxious. The trip was great, and gave me a much better understanding of people and Moscow and St P. The host visits were excellent, and we received a real perspective on life in Russia
Review submitted 13 Jan 2018
A great introduction to Russia! The trip included alot of activities which we wouldn't have been able to experience on our own. The homestay was a highlight, and pancakes with a local family in St Petersburg provided a great insight into real life for real people in Russia - plus some great home made food!
Review submitted 13 Jan 2018