Unearth the treasures of Mexico, from spicy Mexico City to Playa del Carmen
Cheers a margarita glass to the vivacious beauty and fiery flavours of Mexico. Discover the culture and landscapes of this fascinating country on a trip that takes you from Mexico City to Play del Carmen – with a spattering of enticing stops along the way. Discover Maya history and culture at the incredible Chichen Itza ruins, and visit traditional communities in the charming San Cristobal de las Casas. Indulge in a feast of delicious local food, with a chance to learn some cooking skills of your own. And snorkel in the brilliant Caribbean waters, laze on white sands and stroll through lively marketplaces. Waterfalls and volcanoes await you, and a host of museums, churches and archaeological sites give you a taste of Mexico’s rich cultural heritage.
This is one of our most comprehensive adventures in Mexico, rich in historical and cultural highlights
Get up close and personal with the country's diverse heritage, from the magnificent Aztec temples of Teotihuacan to the brightly-dressed Maya folk of the hills of San Cristobal
There's something for everyone on this trip, whether you're a history buff, nature-lover or Epicurean
Compare Mexico City's heady street-food scene to the subtler fare found in Oaxaca
Your adventure culminates in rest and relaxation. The white sands and azure waters of Playa Del Carmen are the perfect excuse to extend your stay in Mexico
Some included activities, such as guided tours of archaeological sites, can be quite strenuous. Be sure to bring suitably sturdy footwear.
There are a few long days of travel, as you'll be covering a lot of ground. You will, however, make stops at interesting locations to break up the longer drives.
The tropical climate of Central America means conditions can be hot and humid. Always carry plenty of water with you and stay hydrated, especially on walking tours. There will of course be plenty of chances to swim!
It's a good idea to learn as many Spanish words as you can. Locals are very friendly, but can be shy, so you'll need to make an effort to break the ice. It's a great way to show respect and involve yourself in their culture.
Due to increased activity by the Zapatista movement in the region around Palenque, some changes to your itinerary may be necessary for your safety.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Best of Mexico trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available for purchase on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. For the included internal flight ticket, please provide your full name exactly as per passport, at the time of booking or at least 45 days prior to travel.
4. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Our Best of Mexico trips score an average of 4.85 out of 5 based on 59 reviews in the last year.
Best of Mexico certainly exceeded my expectations with respect to food and culture. The small group size made everything easier than travelling in a large coach with 40+ fellow travelers. All the optional activities were exceptional value for money. The food was good, varied and dirt cheap, as was the local beer.
Review submitted 20 Mar 2018
Best of Mexico and Cuba is an amazing way to spend 3 weeks travelling around Central America. Would recommend to all. Only one thing I would change and that is to include a trip to Uxmal in the trip as this Mayan site is simply the best by a mile over all the others and I did go to 9 temple sites while in Mexico. Good leaders, great food and fun company, what more can you ask for.
Review submitted 06 Mar 2018