Bliss out in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize
Prepare for a unique Central American adventure from Mexico to Guatemala, packed full of vibrant cities, breathtaking ruins of Maya, Aztec and Zapotec origins, idyllic beaches and pure natural beauty. Journey from the madness of Mexico City through the Yucatan Peninsula and to the colour of colonial Guatemala. Discover the fiery flavours of Oaxaca, admire the lush Palenque archaeological zone, swim in the turquoise waters off the coast of Belize in Caye Caulker and marvel at volcano-rimmed Antigua. Join Lonely Planet and Intrepid as we discover places of astounding beauty, visit vibrant and colourful cities, explore ancient ruins and uncover hidden gems along the way.
Eat your way through arty Oaxaca at its many market vendors and authentic restaurants – mole poblano and mezcal for dinner? Delicioso!
Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why – strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
Caribbean Caye Caulker is a dreamy place to spend two days with no plans. Munch barbecue lobster? Snorkel in coral reef? Nap under a palm tree? It’s up to you.
Get to know contemporary Maya life during a homestay in San Jorge La Laguna, a lakeside village where you can share meals and conversation with a local family.
Wander between stalls of rainbow-coloured handicrafts, fruits and flowers and get some haggling tips from your leader in Chichicastenango Market.
This trip involves some long days of travel by private and local transport, including one overnight bus. While this can be tiring, it's also a fantastic way to rub shoulders with the locals and get under the skin of a place.
Mexico's climate is sultry and tropical, so can get really hot and humid. Wear loose clothing and make sure stay hydrated, especially while out on walking tours.
Crossing the borders between the various countries visited on this trip is usually straightforward, but you may need to be patient. Books, podcasts and car games will be your best friend.
The homestay is a wonderful opportunity to witness everyday local life. Conditions are simple and multi-share but comfortable. A hearty homecooked breakfast and dinner will be served during your stay, which can be a lot more basic than what you're used to.
Try to learn as many Spanish words as you can before the trip. In many of the destinations we visit, local people are reserved and/or do not speak English. Attempting to communicate in Spanish is a great way of showing you care.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1 in Mexico City. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 7 (Overnight bus) and Days 24 & 25 (Rio Dulce) where you will be in shared accommodation. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Multishare typically includes triple and quad rooms. You may be required to share with group members of the opposite sex and couples, and people travelling together may occasionally be separated due to rooming configurations.
4. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
5. Please be careful when booking flights from Antigua; make sure you fly out of Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do not book flights from Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information