Experience the essence of China from Beijing to Hong Kong
This in-depth tour has proven to be one of the most popular we offer in China. Experience the Middle Kingdom as you take in the major tourist attractions in China and visit some of its lesser-known sites. See the majestic splendour of Beijing, visit the Great Wall of China and discover the Terracotta Warriors before travelling to Hong Kong to soak up the electric vibe. From sizzling Sichuan dishes in Chengdu and a cruise along the Yangzi River to the tranquillity of the Buddhist temples in Emei Shan, experience the true essence of China - you won't be disappointed.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will become 19 days in length due to high-speed day trains replacing some overnight trains. The included destinations and activities will remain the same. Full details on these changes will be available in the coming months.
For a limited time, we're offering 15% OFF trips in South East and Eastern Asia. Find out more >Terms & Conditions
Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it when face-to-face with thousands of Terracotta Warriors, walking the Great Wall (or encountering thousands of local tourists at the Forbidden City!)
Find peace in one of the holiest places in China as you trek around Emei Shan and stay in a monastery, waking to the sound of drums and morning prayers
Learn about the endangered (and adorable) giant pandas’ struggle for survival, and get up close to these unique creatures in Chengdu
Take a tourist boat trip through the iconic scenery of the Yangzi River, which meanders through the dramatic Three Gorges
This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
The trip covers a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days.
With walks on the Great Wall and up Emei Shan, you'll need a reasonable level of fitness. Comfortable walking shoes with good support and grip are essential.
This trip includes stays in a range of accommodation from hotels, guesthouses, monasteries and riverboats to trains. While they might not always be as comfortable as home, they allow you to really encounter local life and experience Chinese hospitality on a true adventure.
1. A Single Supplement to have your own room is bookable on this trip, subject to availability, and excludes the overnight train journeys, Yangzi River boat trip and the monastery stays.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class for 2 journeys and in 4-berth 'soft-sleeper' for one. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities. An upgrade to all Soft Sleeper train compartments is available on this trip.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. From 1st January 2019 this trip will become 19 days in length due to high-speed day trains replacing some overnight trains. The included destinations and activities will remain the same. Full details on these changes will be available in the coming months.
Our China Experience trips score an average of 4.71 out of 5 based on 92 reviews in the last year.
Excellent trip with great variety of activities in this massive country. Bring some yuan for first 24-48 hours after which atms easier to access. Upgrade option on yangtze boat well worth it. Tobaggon down on wall is good option. Listen to Francis on food-:he is great
Review submitted 21 Jun 2018