Experience the history, traditions, flavours and beaches of Turkey and Greece on this well-balance tour
If you’re looking for world-famous ruins, postcard-perfect beaches, epic history and a healthy dose of mouth-watering cuisine, a Greek holiday is probably high on your list, but did you know all of these treasures can be found in Turkey too? You’d be missing out if you visited one and not the other, so we created the perfect two-week adventure for you. Glimpse Turkey and Greece’s glorious past on visits to Ephesus and the island of Delos. Compare Turkey’s version of beach life with that found on the Greek Islands. And debate which country serves up the tastiest cuisine. Balancing traditional towns with tourist hotspots, unique cultural experiences with bucket-list items, and free time with planned excursion, this trip to Turkey and Greece has all the makings of an unforgettable adventure.
Get 15% off select trips with departures between May and September if you book before the end of May!Terms & Conditions
Taste local fruit wines in one of the best-preserved Greek Ottoman villages in the country. The small village of Sirince is picture perfect.
Get up close and personal with the fairy chimneys of Cappadocia on a valley walk that'll have you exploring rock-cut dwellings in Love Valley or the rose-coloured hues of Red Valley.
Discover the back streets and vibrant local markets of Istanbul, where East meets West.
Fall asleep on the Aegean Coast and wake up in Central Anatolia on the Mavi Konya, an overnight train from Izmir to Konya.
Uncover thousands of years of civilisation in Athens with a visit to the world-famous Acropolis and the ancient Agora.
Wander through the charming villages of Syros. When night falls, indulge in delicious seafood dinners in traditional tavernas as Rembetika music floats around you.
With its boutique culture, gorgeous beaches and thumping nightlife, the chic isle of Mykonos invites you to embrace your hedonistic side.
The sight of a Santorini sunset can turn even the most hardened of souls into a romantic. Walk along the volcanic rim of the island from Thira to Oia, passing through picturesque white villages that cling to plunging cliffs.
You will need to carry your bags on and off local trams and trains and ferries during this trip. Some of the Greek Islands are very hilly and mountainous, which means lots and lots of steps are an inherent feature of the landscape. You will have to be able to easily lift your luggage and carry it up and down stairs and inclines. Also, stone streets become very slippery when wet.
This trip has two included flights in Turkey and internal luggage restrictions of 15 kg apply. If you are travelling for a longer period it is possible to store excess luggage in Istanbul.
The flight connection from Istanbul to Athens has a 23 kg checked in allowance and 8 kg hand baggage.
There is an overnight train on this trip, the train is twin share with comfortable beds and all linen is supplied.
We have had reports of travellers being pick pocketed on public transport in Athens. Please be careful with your valuables while travelling on the metro or the bus.
Transport in Greece is by way of large ferries that transport hundreds of people, along with cars and trucks. There are no reserved seats and passengers are free to walk around the ferry freely. Luggage is stored in a designated area on the car deck and is not accessible while the ferry is moving.
Summer temperatures in Turkey and Greece can reach up to 40°C, which can be uncomfortable for those not used to the heat. On the other hand, early in the season (April) many businesses may still be closed and the weather is unpredictable, however you may have some of the major sights almost to yourself. Please consider the time of the year you wish to travel and your suitability to that season.
As accommodation on this trip is twin-share, single travellers will share a room with another traveller of the same gender. If you’d prefer not to share, a single room supplement is available at an additional charge. Please ask your travel consultant for more details.
1. This trip starts in Istanbul on Day 1 at 1.00pm. This allows time after the joining meeting to explore Istanbul with your Leader.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 4 (Overnight train) where you will be in shared accommodation, and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. This trip has two included internal flights, there is a 15kg checked and 8kg luggage restriction. Excess Luggage can be stored in the Istanbul starting point hotel.
The international connection between Istanbul and Athens has a 23 kg checked in luggage allowance and 8 kg hand luggage.
4. This trip has an overnight train included, the train is comfortable and reserved on a twin share basis, with comfortable beds, pillows and linen supplied, most people get a goods nights sleep on the train.
5. We recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Turkey before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information