Explore the wild plains of Kruger National Park and the cosmopolitan streets of Cape Town.
Enjoy an incredible African adventure on this journey from Kruger National Park to the rugged beauty of sophisticated Cape Town. Feel the thrill of spotting one (or more!) of Africa’s Big Five for the first time on a game drive, hear the trumpet of elephants across the plains and learn about the park’s unique ecosystem on a guided walk. Travel to bustling Joburg – a juxtaposing city of mansions and shantytowns – before travelling to the chic streets of Cape Town to learn about the city’s dramatic past. Immerse yourself in the culture, beauty and history of this astonishing region.
Book now & save on trips departing before 15 December 2021. Offer ends 2 December.Terms & Conditions
Experience a private game reserve after dark in an open top 4x4 vehicle
Try to spot the Big Five in Kruger National Park on two full day game drives
Take in amazing views at the viewpoint over the awesome Blyde River Canyon and view the Three Rondavels
Journey to Cape Town aboard the Shosholoza Meyl in a tourist class sleeper cabin passing arid Karoo, traversing the Hex River Pass and pasing through the beautiful winelands under vast mountains outside of Cape Town.
Relax in the lush environs of Stellenbosch with a glass of wine in hand after a city tour
Take in the beauty of Cape Town's coast while driving along the Cape Peninsula via Cape Point Nature Reserve and the Cape of Good Hope
This itinerary starts in Johannesburg and includes 2 long travel days to and from Greater Kruger.
Our lodge is located within the Greater Kruger Park ecosystem. It’s about a 50 minute drive to Kruger National Park’s Orpen Gate. On this itinerary you will have Game Drives in both the Kruger National Park and neighbouring Private Game Reserves.
This is one of our Short Breaks and is slightly different to our group tours. There is no group leader but rather a local guide in Kruger and in Cape Town with the idea being that you maintain a level of independence during down time. You'll most likely travel on a join-in basis, which means you may or may not be joined by others for activities and transportation, depending on demand. In some instances you will travel with no other Intrepid travellers.
The transport to and from Kruger National Park will be in a 13-seater minivan. This is a shuttle service that departs daily. You may be sharing this shuttle ride with other travellers booked on different trips and itineraries to you.
The train journey from Johannesburg to Cape Town will be unaccompanied. If you would rather fly please refer to our Kruger & Cape Town Short Break by Plane trip.
The arrival time of the train in Cape Town is variable as it is a long journey and there are many unforeseen situations that may cause delays. Delays can be up to 5 hours and in some circumstances replacements buses can be used. Please be aware that this train is used by the general South African community and some vigilance may be required. If you would rather catch a plane between Johannesburg and Cape Town we also have this option.
There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Kruger & Cape Town Short Break by Train trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip departs between 5.30am and 6:30am on Day 1 so it is essential that you overnight in Johannesburg the day before the tour.
2. You will be picked up on day 1 from our preferred Joining Point Hotel; the Holiday Inn Rosebank and pick up time is 6.00 am.
3. If you require pick up from another centrally-located hotel in Johannesburg or OR Tambo Airport Hotel, please inform your booking agent at least 14 days prior to departure.
4. This trip is a combination of several Intrepid Short Break Adventures and you will not be accompanied by a tour leader. You will have local guides at the Lodge in Kruger and in Cape Town for your activities.
5. This trip travels from Johannesburg to Cape Town by Tourist class sleeper train. The train can only be booked within 90 days of departure. If the schedule changes or we cannot confirm the train trip we will upgrade you to an internal flight
6. The arrival time of the train in Cape Town is variable as it is a long journey and there are many unforeseen situations that may cause delays. Occasionally due to circumstances you may be transferred to buses to complete the journey in to Cape Town Station.
7. Solo travellers will be booked into single rooms at all hotels and lodges, while on the train they will have a 4-berth compartment, sharing with other passengers of the same gender. Two passengers travelling together will be booked into twin rooms and a 2-berth coupé on the train.
Unfortunately the Table Mountain cable car, facilities and shops will be closed due to maintenance from 8th July 8 to 18th August 2019. Access to the top of Table Mountain will still be available by the steep hiking trail. If you wish to hike to the top of the mountain we recommend using a local guide. Your Leader or hotel reception will be able to assist with arrangements.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information