Travel to Peru and discover its fascinating history, from the depths of the Amazon to the heights of the Andes and on to the unique islands of Lake Titicaca. Experience diverse ecology, geology, cultures and witness daily Peruvian life. Uncover the mystery of Peru's culture and history on this unforgettable journey that is sure to leave you enthralled and wanting more.
Tour Peru's enthralling capital with a guide, checking out its majestic colonial architecture and colossal cathedrals. There's nothing quite like being shown around by a local
Venture deep into the Amazon Jungle with your local, multilingual guides and encounter magnificent fauna, flora and wildlife in their natural habitat
Enjoy a day out on tranquil Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest navigable body of water, and explore the floating islands crafted by the indigenous Uru locals
In the early hours of the morning, soak up a sublime sunrise from the gates of Machu Picchu. Afterwards, take a guided tour of the ruins and explore the area in your own time
Peru is a world-class culinary destination. Feast on the nation's favourite dish of ceviche in gastronomic Lima and sip on a pisco sour
Enjoy plenty of free time in Cusco to discover the city's colonial and Incan architecture
The Amazon Jungle can be very hot and humid, so it's important to drink plenty of water and wear light cotton clothing. Make sure you also bring tropical-strength insect repellant.
While accommodation in the Amazon is clean, comfortable and ideally located, it's pretty basic compared with other accommodation throughout the trip. Please remember that this is a very remote part of the world. As there's no electricity at night, the rooms are lit with candles and kerosene lamps.
Due to the high altitude of many of places we visit, the air is thinner and some people can suffer altitude sickness, regardless of age, gender or fitness. It even happened to Sir Edmund Hillary. Some people aren’t affected at all, but if you are, be sure to drink plenty of water and don’t push yourself too hard. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the Essential Trip information (ETI) for more important information about altitude sickness.
There are several orientation walks during this trip so there will be quite a lot of walking. The heat and humidity can also be quite extreme during the summer months. It’s important to always bring plenty of water, wear comfortable walking shoes and ensure you use adequate sun protection. Wearing layers is a good way to tackle the heat.
A decent level of fitness is required to hike the Inca Trail, as the walks are long, tiring and challenging. The rewards are all worth it!
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Peruvian Pathways trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary. Details provided must be accurate as per your passport bio page. This will be used for applying for your Inca permit and if any info doesn’t match your passport, Inca authority will refuse your entry.
2. Please note this trip starts at 2pm on day 1. If you are unable to find a suitable flight it is possible to book additional nights at the joining accommodation. We recommend that travellers intending to depart Lima on the final day of the trip book flights out of Lima no earlier than 12 at noon, to allow for possible delays on returning to Lima or in the event of needing to take antigen or a PCR test. Intrepid staff will be able to assist in booking any required tests in Lima.
3. A Single Supplement to have your own room is available on this trip however excludes nights 2 ad 3 (Amazon Jungle) where you will be in shared accommodation.
4. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
5. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you. Due to the reduced capacity of Inca Trail during Covid period, if Inca Trail permits of our chosen route are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
The timing of trekking may vary depending on the route and time slot we are given for entering the Inca Trail. Your group leader will give you the details at the welcome group meeting on Day 1 of your trip.
6. The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February, you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
7. Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
8. While hiking the 4-day Inca Trail or the 3-day Inca Quarry trail portion of this trip you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travellers.
9. Mask wearing is mandatory in Peru during Covid period as part of the local regulation. Travellers will be required to wear masks in situations where they are unable to physically distance themselves from other group members, whether hiking, in public gathering areas such as campsites or when visiting local communities.
10. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please consult your doctor for professional advice about travelling at high altitude if you have a health condition.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information