From the underground catacombs of Lima to lofty Machu Picchu
Travel to South America and tour Peru on an eye-opening sojourn from the depths of the Amazon to the heights of the Andes. Visit Lima, explore ancient Cusco, see the lush Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo, and marvel at the wonder of Machu Picchu. Offering an up close look at Peru's diverse attractions, this is an unforgettable trip at a relaxing pace. Discover ancient cultures, natural wonders, welcoming locals and vibrant modern life as you journey through the homeland of the Incas.
Get 15% off select trips with departures between May and September if you book before the end of May!Terms & Conditions
Descend into the vast catacombs beneath Lima on an underground tour. This is a side of Peru's capital not many people have seen
Marvel at ancient Incan architecture throughout the fertile Sacred Valley, before discovering the mother of all Incan cities, Machu Picchu. Enjoy a guided tour of the ruins and free time to explore on your own
Experience the untouched world of the Amazon rainforest. Stroll along jungle trails on the lookout for monkeys, parrots, otters and caiman, and sleep in a nature lodge lit by candles and kerosene lamps
Enjoy plenty of free time in Cusco to discover the city's colonial and Inca architecture
Due to the high altitude of many of the places we visit, the air is thinner and some people can suffer from altitude sickness. Some people aren’t affected at all, but if you are, be sure to drink plenty of water and don’t push yourself too hard. Please see the ‘Medical and Health Information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
The Amazon Jungle can be very hot and humid, so it's important to drink plenty of water and wear light cotton clothing. Make sure you also bring tropical-strength insect repellant.
If you decide to trek the Inca Trail then you need to make sure you have a decent level of fitness. This is so you can make the most of the adventure.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Inca Encounter trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary. Details provided must be accurate as per your passport bio page. This will be used for applying for your Inca permit and if any info doesn’t match your passport, Inca authority will refuse your entry.
2. Please note this trip starts at 2pm on day 1. If you are unable to find a suitable flight it is possible to book additional nights at the joining accommodation. We recommend that travelers intending to depart Cusco on the final day of the trip book flights out of Cusco no earlier than 12 at noon, to allow for possible delays on the final section of the trail or in the event of needing to take antigen or a PCR test. Intrepid staff will be able to assist in booking any required tests in Cusco.
3. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement exclude Days 2,3 (Jungle Lodge) and Days 6,7,8 (Camping) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
4. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us.
5. This trip includes one visit to Machu Picchu. According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. Please refer to the itinerary for details.
6. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavor to secure a permit for you. Due to the reduced capacity of Inca Trail during Covid period, if Inca Trail permits of our chosen route are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
The timing of trekking varies depending on the route and time slot given for entering the Inca Trail. Your group leader will give you the details at the welcome group meeting on Day 1 of your trip.
7. The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February, you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
8. Should you choose not to hike at all, please inform in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
9. While hiking the 4-day Inca Trail or the 3-day Inca Quarry trail portion of this trip you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travelers.
10. Mask wearing is mandatory in Peru during Covid period as part of the local regulation. Travelers will be required to wear masks in situations where they are unable to physically distance themselves from other group members, whether hiking, in public gathering areas such as campsites or when visiting local communities.
11. Parts of your trip go above 2800 m/ 9200 ft where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please consult your doctor for professional advice about travelling at high altitude if you have a health condition.
12. Starting from 23rd Jan, the Peruvian government has enforced new regulations around movements in the country and access to public indoor venues by requiring anybody over 40 to show evidence of a booster shot. This includes catching domestic flights, trains, and going to restaurants, museums, banks, shops etc. We strongly advise you to book and complete your booster dose if you haven’t got it before your trip so that this new regulation won’t impact your experience and enjoyment in travelling in Peru.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information