Explore magical Myanmar travelling from Yangon to Inle Lake, Bagan and Mandalay.
Myanmar is a country with a deep and fascinating culture. Beginning and ending in Yangon, discover the spiritual heavyweight of Shwedagon Pagoda, journey through Bagan and its thousands of pagodas, cross the longest teak bridge in the world near Mandalay and enjoy life lakeside at Inle Lake, where floating markets, leg-rowing fishermen and ethnic minorities make for a unique destination. Mix in delicious food, breathtaking landscapes and people both curious and welcoming, and you have a place that will keep you coming back for more.
TRIP UPDATES FOR 2019:
Due to a decline in tourism we are unfortunately no longer able to offer our current full range of trips in all styles in Myanmar. From 1st January 2019 this Basix trip will be discontinued. For other trips to Myanmar in Original or Comfort style, please see our Best of Myanmar (TTSM), Myanmar Highlights (TRSH) or Classic Myanmar (TTKA) trips.
Start and finish your explorations of Myanmar in incredible Yangon, rapidly developing but still packed with beautiful pagodas, astounding giant Buddhas and countless historical sites.
There are plenty of opportunities to get in touch with the people and culture in your ample free time. Try our Urban Adventures in Yangon, Bagan or Mandalay for river tours, exploring after dark, local food and community visits.
Tour the ancient city of Bagan by bicycle or float high above the spectacle of stupas in a hot air balloon. There are multiple magical ways to see this astonishing site and it's thousands of temples and pagodas.
Spend a full day waking through the hills and villages of Kalaw, getting up-close and personal with the culture of rural Myanmar.
Get lost in the floating markets of Inle Lake and encounter the many varied ethnic groups who call this place home - a quintessential Myanmar experience.
Myanmar is a large country with developing infrastructure. We are attempting to cover large distances in a short amount of time, so expect some long travel days as we travel between destinations.
While not strenuous, the full day of walking in Kalaw does require travellers to have a good general level of fitness and to bring appropriate footwear for walking in the countryside.
This trip gives you plenty of free time in each location, perfect for the traveller who appreciates a bit of independence. Choose to explore on your own, with your group members or join some of our Urban Adventures day tours on your free days.
Temperatures in Myanmar can be hot and humid year round. Check forecasts before you go and ensure you have suitable clothing and sun protection.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Myanmar Experience trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Please provide passport details at time of booking with exact name as per passport, as these are essential for booking services on this trip.
2. A Single Supplement to have your own room is available on this trip.
3. The ferry from Bagan to Mandalay may be cancelled due to changing water levels on the Ayeyarwady River (usually February to May) and when there are fewer tourists travelling in low season (April to September). Cancellations may take place at the last minute and without warning. If this happens, the group will travel by road from Bagan to Mandalay (approx. 5 hours).
4. Intrepid can book an optional sunrise balloon ride over the Bagan (operating October to March). Please refer to Day 4 of the Trip Notes for more information. Places are limited and we recommend advance booking with your agent.
5. Due to a decline in tourism we are unfortunately no longer able to offer our current full range of trips in all styles in Myanmar. From 1st January 2019 this Basix trip will be discontinued. For other trips to Myanmar in Original or Comfort style, please see our Best of Myanmar (TTSM), Myanmar Highlights (TRSH) or Classic Myanmar (TTKA) trips.
Our Myanmar Experience trips score an average of 4.85 out of 5 based on 246 reviews in the last year.
This was an excellent tour. The only improvement (which could not have been done due to the dry season) would have been to have the boat ride instead of the bus ride.
Review submitted 31 May 2018
This trip was brilliant! I didn't want it to end! I usually travel solo and enjoy my independence, but this time I decided to do something different. One of the things I realised was that by going with a professional company and guide, I could see and learn so much more about the country than on my own. The tour was action-packed and never boring, with one beautiful surprise after another! I am very grateful. Thank you Intrepid!
Review submitted 10 May 2018