Explore Central America on a trip through Mexico, Belize and Guatemala
Prepare for a unique Central American adventure from Mexico to Guatemala that's packed full of cosmopolitan cities, breathtaking Mayan ruins, idyllic beaches and incredible natural beauty. Journey from the madness of Mexico City, through the Yucatan Peninsula and to the colour of colonial Antigua. Discover the spicy flavours of Oaxaca, admire the stunning Palenque ruins, swim in the turquoise waters off the coast of Belize in Caye Caulker and arrive at volcano-rimmed Antigua. Join us as we discover places of astounding beauty, visit vibrant and colourful cities, explore ancient ruins and uncover the hidden gems of Central America along the way.
Save a space on your 2019 trip with only a €50 deposit until 31 August 2018.Terms & Conditions
This overland adventure covers big parts of Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, allowing you to see some of the best of Central America
You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts at the markets in multiple destinations
Escape the Mexican heat in San Cristobal de las Casas. This old-world town is surrounded by ancient tribal villages that have retained their traditional customs and roots
Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why - strolling around the ancient Mayan ruins feels pretty wondrous
A few days on Caye Caulker provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy laidback island vibes and exceptional snorkelling on the nearby reefs
A homestay in San Jorge La Laguna invites you to connect with a local family. Sit down for breakfast and dinner with your hosts and work on improving your Spanish
Visiting the colourful Mayan villages surrounding Lake Atitlan in the Guatemalan Highlands is a humbling experience
This trip involves some long travel days, including one overnight bus. While this can be tiring, it's a great opportunity to sit back, enjoy the passing scenery and to bond with your fellow travellers.
This trip also includes some travel by local transport, which can be basic and challenging, but is also a fantastic way to rub shoulders with the locals and get under the skin of a place.
Crossing the borders between the various countries visited on this trip is usually straightforward, but you may need to be patient. If there are delays during your journey.
The tropical climate of Central America means conditions can be really hot and humid. Always carry plenty of water with you and stay hydrated, especially on walking tours.
Conditions during your homestay in San Jorge La Laguna are basic. Your room will consist of a couple of beds with clean bedding, and the bathroom will most likely be shared with the rest of the family. Hearty home-cooked breakfast and dinner will be served during your stay, which can be a lot more basic than what you're used to. However, corn, rice and beans are very filling.
Try to learn as many Spanish words as you can. Locals are very friendly, but also shy, so you'll need to make plenty of effort to break the ice. Attempting to communicate in Spanish is a great way of showing you care.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. To have a private room on this trip, a single supplement is bookable (subject to availability) with exception of Day 7 (Overnight bus) and Days 10 & 11 (Rio Dulce) where you would be in shared accommodation.
3. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from Antigua; make sure you fly out of Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do NOT book flights to/from Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Our Central America Encompassed trips score an average of 4.8 out of 5 based on 5 reviews in the last year.
Very interesting trip with dedicated tour guides. Anytime we felt well informed. The accommodations were of a very good standard. A good introduction to the country and this people.
Review submitted 27 Dec 2017