Discover the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua
From beautiful black-sand beaches to tropical forests alive with jungle melodies, this pocket of Central America is something of a natural paradise. Whether you're shopping in colonial Antigua, exploring the intricately carved structures at Copan or relaxing by the sea in El Salvador, you'll get a wonderful insight into Central America during this incredible adventure.
See the sights and engage in a wide range of optional activities across four different countries on this epic Latin adventure.
Discover Central America, a land of mysterious Mayan ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles.
Experience an El Salvador of the past in the colonial town of Suchitoto, a haven for architectural buffs, before savouring the blissful present on its black sand beaches.
Absorb the 24/7 buzz of Leon, a Nicaraguan city of colourful streetscapes, fiery debate, eclectic art galleries and pulsating nightlife.
Dive into the heart of Grandada, possibly the most laid-back and accessible city in Central America, fully imbued with color and culture.
This trip involves some long travel days, especially on Day 8 from El Cuco to Leon. This 12-hour journey includes a boat trip across the Gulf of Fonseca and several hours in a mini-van. Although it's a long day, it's a great opportunity to sit back, enjoy the passing scenery and bond with your fellow travellers. This is a real Central American adventure, after all.
As this trip covers destinations across four countries, you'll need to make several border crossings. While these are usually straightforward, please prepare to be patient while local authorities process papers.
Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated - especially when out on walking tours.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. If you'd prefer to take it easy, however, there are plenty of other things you can do instead. Your local leader will be able to recommend activities to suit your fitness level.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. To have a private room on this trip, a single supplement is bookable; subject to availability.
3. Please be careful when booking flights to Antigua; make sure you fly into Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do NOT book flights to Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from Granada; make sure you fly out of Managua - Augusto C. Sandino International Airport [MGA]. Managua’s Airport is the closest airport to Granada. Please do NOT book flights from Granada Airport [GRX] as this is in Spain.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
POSSIBLE ITINERARY CHANGE – AFFECTING ENDING POINT CITY:
From 01Jun2018 - 31Dec2018, this itinerary has been rerouted to avoid the country Nicaragua; the joining point city remains Antigua in Guatemala, however the ending point city Granada is in Nicaragua, so it was changed to end in El Tunco in El Salvador (San Salvador being the closest airport). This is reflected on the website. There are ongoing political protests with considerable risk for roadblocks which could interrupt the running of the trip, or worse, jeopardise the safety of our travellers and that of our leaders. We will continue to closely monitor the situation in Nicaragua, however departures in 2019 could also need to be rerouted if the situation does not improve. Therefore, it is recommended NOT to book flights until the ending point city is confirmed. We will assess the situation in October.
Our Guatemala & Beyond trips score an average of 4.41 out of 5 based on 17 reviews in the last year.
Central America is a must
Review submitted 04 Sep 2018
These trips are good primarily for arranging overland transportation and activities. Nothing except the hotels and transportation is included. The trip leaders can be good, but this is variable. Overall, a good way to travel, especially if alone. The trips are well organized overall.
Review submitted 30 Jul 2018