See the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica
Get ready for a fast-paced adventure through the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica. From beautiful black-sand beaches to tropical forests alive with jungle melodies, this pocket of Central America is something of a natural paradise. Whether you're shopping in colonial Antigua, exploring the intricately carved structures at Copan, relaxing on the coast of El Salvador or taking a walk through Monteverde's enchanting cloud forest, you'll get a wonderful insight into Central America during this incredible adventure.
Discover Central America, a land of mysterious Mayan ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles. Get a taste of four countries on this epic Latin adventure
Experience an El Salvador of the past in the colonial town of Suchitoto, before savouring the blissful present on black sand beaches. Stray off the beaten track in El Cuco and summon your inner surfie in El Tunco
Hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde in Costa Rica. Get up close to nature among the hundreds of mammal, bird and plant species that call this place home
Encounter Costa Rica's famous Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna. Whether it's reflecting back at you in the lake or heating the thermal pools you're stewing away in, the magnificent volcano always makes its presence felt
As this trip covers destinations across four countries, you'll need to make several border crossings. While these are usually straightforward, please prepare to be patient.
Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated - especially when out on walking tours.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. If you'd prefer to take it easy, however, there are plenty of other things you can do instead.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 03 February 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 04 February 2019 - 31 December 2019
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available for purchase on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Please be careful when booking flights to Antigua; make sure you fly into Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do NOT book flights to Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaría International Airport [SJO]. Please do NOT book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Due to recent political protests, we have rerouted this itinerary to avoid Nicaragua. We are confident that this is the safest course of action for our travellers and our staff on the ground. The joining and ending point cities are unaffected. We will continue to closely monitor the situation in Nicaragua in the hope of improvement and to maintain our discretion to revert to the original itinerary or otherwise.
Our Central American Journey trips score an average of 4.46 out of 5 based on 366 reviews in the last year.
Travelling with Intrepid through "third world" countries is certainly an advantage. Travelling in small groups is fun, provides security and having a "local" guide who able to manage cultural,language and transport is an advantage.
Review submitted 13 Sep 2018
We had an amazing time in Central America, led by our friendly and knowledgeable guide Juan Manuel. There was a huge amount to do and see in all of the locations, and we'll definitely be going back to our favourite areas for a closer took. It was a real shame that our itinerary was changed because of the civil unrest in Nicaragua, as we'd been looking forward to this destination in particular, but of course it was the right decision on safety grounds.
Review submitted 11 Sep 2018