Discover ancient cities and warming hospitality in the Middle East
From the ‘Land of the Pharaohs’ to the buoyant waters of the Dead Sea, this immersive 19-day tour through Egypt and Jordan is awash with highlights. Lose yourself in sun-kissed Cairo, be dazzled by the grandeur of ancient Egypt, cruise down the iconic Nile River, and explore the fascinating cities of Alexandria, Aswan and Luxor. Cross over to Jordan and discover the sweeping desert and echoing formations of Wadi Rum, the hand-hewn facades of Petra and the ancient Roman ruins at Jerash. This is a Middle Eastern odyssey to remember.
Make your dream trip a reality with discounts ranging up to 30% off your next Intrepid adventure.Terms & Conditions
Set sail down the Nile River on a three day cruise. Relax in comfort and watch scenes of everyday Egyptian life stream by from the deck.
Explore the marvel and mystery of Ancient Egypt with tours of the Pyramids at Giza, the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel, the labyrinthian tomb catacombs in Alexandria and more.
Cairo's Khan al-Khalili Bazaar is an essential Egyptian experience; lose yourself in the colours and aromas of this fascinating marketplace.
Be awed by the towering, windswept rock formations at Wadi Rum on a 4WD tour, then spend night star gazing in your Bedouin desert camp.
Discover the otherworldly beauty of Petra on a guided tour of this ancient city, which was carved from the pink-hued cliff at least 2000 years ago.
Egypt can get very hot, particularly in the summer months of July and August. Where possible we try and visit sites in the early morning before it gets too hot. While the heat is generally dry and easier to cope with than humidity, please consider your suitability to the time of year you wish to travel.
The best (and only) way to explore many of the region’s ancient sites is on foot. The walkways around ruins can be uneven, dusty and rocky, so be sure to bring sturdy walking shoes. At major sites such as the Pyramids, Petra and Wadi Rum, you will be exposed to the elements at length, so be prepared with a hat, sunscreen and plenty of water. A reasonable level of fitness is required to enjoy exploring these sites.
One of the benefits of a Comfort-style trip is that we use private transport where possible. As the traffic in Cairo and surrounding areas can be chaotic, we ask that you come prepared with patience.
Accommodation aboard the Nile River cruise is full board, but all drinks you purchase on board are at your own expense. An evening entertainment program is also available on board.
Accommodation on the overnight train is in two-berth cabins with bunk beds. All bedding is provided on board and western-style toilets are located in each carriage. Keep in mind general train cleanliness may not be to the same standards you are accustomed to. An included dinner and breakfast are served on board. You may want to purchase something extra beforehand to supplement your meal, particularly if you're a vegetarian.
In Wadi Rum we stay in a permanent tented camp with shared bathroom facilities. While the desert may be very hot during the day, it will still be cool at night. Warm clothes and a sleeping bag are highly recommended when travelling outside of the summer months.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 13 (Wadi Rum Camp) where you will be in shared accommodation, and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
3. Flights indicated within the itinerary are included. We use Egypt Air for this service. Baggage allowance is as follows: Checked-in - 1 Bag, max 23kg; Hand luggage - 1 bag, max 7kg
4. The flight from Cairo to Amman is unaccompanied. There will be a representative to meet you on arrival at Amman airport and as this is a combination tour the Visa Fee on arrival will not be payable as a group arrival.
5. Following recent safety incidents we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Egypt before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information