›You are hereHome›Kili Climb - Rise to the challenge
Kili Climb - Rise to the challenge
Looking for an adventure that has real purpose and challenges you on every level? Join us for the Intrepid Kili Climb and make 2014 a year to remember.
With the help of Kilimanjaro experts, step out of your comfort zone and climb Tanzania’s mighty Mt Kilimanjaro. Spend seven amazing days tackling the slopes of Kilimanjaro, enjoying great company and knowing that every step you take is one step closer to making gender equality a reality.
Make a difference and register your interest now
53 million girls in developing countries are denied access to primary school. That’s 53 million reasons why Intrepid is supporting programs that get girls into school – and help them stay at school longer.
It’s also part of the reason why we created Project SAMA, our three-year global initiative that promotes gender equality around the world. Project SAMA supports a number of projects around the world focusing on the importance of educating girls and improving the lives of communities in need.
The funds raised by the Intrepid Kili Climb will go directly towards supporting an early education project operated by Plan in Uganda. Only 23% of children in Uganda currently have access to early learning services, with children from rural areas more likely to miss out. Plan is working to build the skills and knowledge of parents, caregivers and communities so that children have the chance to reach their full potential.
By joining us on this challenge to Africa’s highest peak, you will be committing to fundraise for an important early education project in Uganda. With the full support of Intrepid’s SAMA team, you will have until the Tuesday 10th June (Kili Climb 1) and Tuesday 8th July (Kili Climb 2) to reach a modest fundraising target of AUD 1,500. We also provide you with a fundraising toolkit and will be on hand to assist you with your fundraising ideas and plans.
The AUD 1,500 you fundraise will go to supporting an early education project in Uganda that aims to:
- assist early learning programs in 18 villages for children aged 4–6
- train 30 early learning caregivers and teachers
- establish 18 new parenting groups
- promote equality between girls and boys in an educational setting
- ensure parental attitudes and practices are supportive of both girls and boys
- provide academic support for students in Grades 1–3 through establishing after school clubs
Research proves that children who participate in early education projects are:
- more likely to enrol in primary school
- less likely to repeat grades or to drop out of school
- begin school at the right age and complete the primary schooling cycle
See more about our Uganda project here
The Intrepid Kili Climb follows the popular Marangu Route to Mt Kilimanjaro, which is the only route serviced by mountain huts. With the help and support of experienced guides and porters, take the most direct path to the summit, starting the climb through forests and alpine meadows, then progress over rocky ravines and past lunar landscapes to reach the spectacular summit of Africa's highest peak.
- Challenge yourself and conquer all 5,895 metres of mighty Mt Kilimanjaro!
- Walk through surreal hanging forests and unusual moonscapes
- Gaze out over Tanzania's rolling plains at sunrise
- Hike Kilimanjaro's climactic last stretch by lamplight
- Achievable fundraising target of AUD 1500
- Celebrate both an incredible accomplishment and your fundraising prowess
- Take the opportunity to visit the inspiring Village Education Project Kilimanjaro, an Intrepid Foundation-supported project
Day 1 - Marangu Hotel
Day 2 - Marangu - Visit VEPK
Day 3 - Mandara Hut (2725m)
Day 4 - Horombo Hut (3780m)
Day 5 - Kibo Hut (4740m) - Uhuru Peak/Summit (5896m)
Day 6 - Horombo Hut (3780m)
Days 7 & 8 - Marangu Hotel
See a detailed itinerary in the itinerary section of the Trip Notes
Date of trip:
Kili Climb 1: 8 - 15 August 2014
Kili Climb 2: 5 - 12 September 2014
AUD 250 (non-refundable and in addition to travel cost)
AUD 1,445 (for a total travel cost of AUD 1,695). This cost can be fundraised - see the Trip Notes for more details.
Loading Shortlist View shortlist
Our small group style of travel means you’ll stay under the radar, travel the local way, eat the local way and sleep the local way.
Small groups, big adventures.
Log into your booking to view and manage your trip details.
Log in here
For groups of all sizes, organise a special departure of one of our pre-existing adventures, or tailor-make an itinerary to one of our destinations around the world.
TICO #50020269 Intrepid Travel is a member of the Travel Council of Ontario