Travel to Siberia’s Yamal Peninsula with this nomadic tribe of reindeer herders.
There are expeditions and then there are expeditions; this trip, to the far reaches of Russia, definitely falls into the latter category. After a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it stop in St Petersburg, travel by train, bus and Trekol to the Yamal Peninsula; quite literally ‘the end of the world’. Extending far above the Arctic Circle, this isolated region has been home to the Nenets, a tribe of nomadic reindeer herders, for centuries. For the first time, the Nenets are inviting Intrepid travellers into their community for a first-hand glimpse at their daily existence. Learn about life on the frozen tundra, how they stay warm when the temperature hits -50°C, and how much the nomads rely on their reindeer herds. This is definitely one of our most eye-opening, off-the-beaten-track adventures yet.
Rub shoulders with the locals as you experience overnight train travel in Russia
Meet the local Nenets people, the Siberian Arctic's indigenous reindeer herders
Visit a traditional Nenets campsite and see the reindeers up close
Try your hand at fishing and then enjoy a picnic lunch on the banks of the Horomdo Lake
Explore Russia's glittering capital Moscow
Expedition trips may not suit everyone. While a lot of research and planning goes into putting together an Expedition itinerary, they are pioneering and innovative by nature. If smooth, ripple-free travel is what you’re after, perhaps wait until they (possibly) become established trips. But for those with a yearning to veer off the beaten track and explore free of crowds and preconceptions, this is an adventure above all others
There are four overnight train journeys and long travelling days on this Expedition trip, however the scenery and experience will be like nothing else, making the journey well worth it
In Lake Horomdo you will stay in multi-share accommodation with basic facilities
We'll participate in some hikes while we're in the Lake Horomdo region (up to 14 kilometres in total). Please ensure you are fit and able to walk this distance, and don't forget to pack your comfortable shoes.
Even though this itinerary departs in Russian summer, temperatures in the Yamal region are only around +2 degrees to +15 degrees maximum during the day not including wind chill. Having appropriate clothing for this region will be vital.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Expedition - Footsteps of the Reindeer Herders trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding overnight train and multishare accommodation nights.
2. Please note in order for our local operator to book train tickets in Russia, we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 31 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name (First and Last)
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• Date of Birth
• City of Birth
Please note that the above information needs to be the same as your travelling passport, any wrong information provided may result in extra personal expense to reissue train tickets.
3. Expedition trips may not suit everyone. While a lot of research and planning goes into putting together an Expedition itinerary, they are pioneering and innovative by nature. If smooth, ripple-free travel is what you’re after, perhaps wait until they (possibly) become established trips. But for those with a yearning to veer off the beaten track and explore free of crowds and preconceptions, this is an adventure above all others
4. Travellers on our winter departure must be fully prepared for extreme temperatures (-50C), including adequate clothing and footwear and be in excellent health.
5. Travellers on summer departures should ensure they bring protection against mosquitoes including long sleeves and repellent.
Our Russia Expedition - Footsteps of the Reindeer Herders trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews in the last year.
Trip of a lifetime, I will honestly never travel the same again. Mindblowing.
Review submitted 02 Sep 2017
A different side of Russia to the European cities in the west. A true Siberian adventure. I felt like I was miles away civilisation.
Review submitted 31 Aug 2017