Discover the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua
From beautiful black-sand beaches to tropical forests alive with jungle melodies, this pocket of Central America is something of a natural paradise. Whether you're shopping in colonial Antigua, exploring the intricately carved structures at Copan or relaxing by the sea in El Salvador, you'll get a wonderful insight into Central America during this incredible adventure.
See the sights and engage in a wide range of optional activities across four different countries on this epic Latin adventure.
Discover Central America, a land of mysterious Mayan ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles.
Experience an El Salvador of the past in the colonial town of Suchitoto, a haven for architectural buffs, before savouring the blissful present on its black sand beaches.
Absorb the 24/7 buzz of Leon, a Nicaraguan city of colourful streetscapes, fiery debate, eclectic art galleries and pulsating nightlife.
Dive into the heart of Grandada, possibly the most laid-back and accessible city in Central America, fully imbued with color and culture.
This trip involves some long travel days, especially on Day 8 from El Cuco to Leon. This 12-hour journey includes a boat trip across the Gulf of Fonseca and several hours in a mini-van. Although it's a long day, it's a great opportunity to sit back, enjoy the passing scenery and bond with your fellow travellers. This is a real Central American adventure, after all.
As this trip covers destinations across four countries, you'll need to make several border crossings. While these are usually straightforward, please prepare to be patient while local authorities process papers.
Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated - especially when out on walking tours.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. If you'd prefer to take it easy, however, there are plenty of other things you can do instead. Your local leader will be able to recommend activities to suit your fitness level.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available for purchase on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Please be careful when booking flights to Antigua; make sure you fly into Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do NOT book flights to Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from Granada; make sure you fly out of Managua - Augusto C. Sandino International Airport [MGA]. Managua’s Airport is the closest airport to Granada. Please do NOT book flights from Granada Airport [GRX] as this is in Spain.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Due to recent political protests, we have rerouted this itinerary to avoid Nicaragua for upcoming departures. We are confident that this is the safest course of action for our travellers and our staff on the ground. We will be monitoring the situation closely and hope the situation improves asap. Travellers on upcoming departures will be contacted individually with their options as soon as possible. It is recommended NOT to book flights until the start/end cities are confirmed and to speak with your sales specialist for the latest updates.
Our Guatemala & Beyond trips score an average of 4.4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews in the last year.
Only tour including El Salvador I could find, so I took it. Definitely best for young, bargain seeking travelers. Good mix of travelers from several countries. Guide was outstanding, an ardent environmentalist who cared deeply for the well being of his country.
Review submitted 16 Jul 2018
Intrepid are an excellent company to book with for adventurous trips, they are extremely good at what they do, they also have very good choices of where and when to travel around the world. I would not hesitate to recommend them to other travellers.
Review submitted 09 Jun 2018