Life's a beach in Central America on this awesome adventure through Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Costa Rica
If it’s Central America you want, it’s Central America you’ll get! This super-cali-fragil-istic-EPIC-ali-docious adventure kicks off in Mexico’s Playa del Carmen and snakes through Belize, Antigua, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica like an enormous non-scary anaconda wearing a party hat. Chillax on the beach in Caye Caulker, trek to Tikal, brush up on your Española over an icy cerveza and spot more volcanoes than you can shake a stick at.
Oh Mayan, Central America, what a land. A palace of mysterious ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles. Get a taste of seven different countries on an epic Latin adventure that takes in the sights and offers a whole heap of optional activities too.
Extended time in Caye Caulker and Antigua offers the perfect opportunity to enjoy laid-back island vibes as well as buzzing colonial city life.
There's nothing quite like staying with a local family to really experience a place. You'll be feasting at breakfast and dinner, and improving your Spanish with the locals in San Jorge La Laguna in no time.
There are loads of sides to Central America and you’ll get a taste of so many - slumbering on the sands of Playa del Carmen, gazing at the pyramids of Tikal or haggling in the markets of Chichicastenango.
Travel to El Salvador and back in time in the colonial town of Suchitoto. Then summon your best beach bum/inner surfie with the beautiful black-sand beaches and surf of El Cuco and El Tunco.
Central America likes to keep you on your toes – hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde in Costa Rica. Get up close to nature in one of the world’s most incredible landscapes.
This trip involves some long travel days, especially on Day 22 from El Cuco to Leon. This 14-hour journey includes a boat trip across the Gulf of Fonseca and several hours in a minibus. Who doesn’t love a challenge? We definitely do here at Intrepid, and while travelling between some locations on local transport on this trip can be hard, it’s super rewarding and a great way to meet the locals.
You’ll be crossing the borders between seven countries on this trip and, while it is usually straightforward, you may need to be patient. Make sure you’ve got your best car game ready if there are any delays!
Is it hot in here? Well you’re in tropical Central America so it can get really hot and humid. Carry plenty of water because hydration is key, especially when you’re walking a lot.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. Want to take it easy? There are plenty of other things you can do instead.
It’s a good idea to try and brush up on as many Spanish words as you can. While locals are really friendly, they’re also shy, so knowing some local lingo is a great way to break the ice and show you care.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. To have a private room on this trip, a single supplement is bookable; subject to availability.
3. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaría International Airport [SJO]. Please do NOT book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.