Take a mind-blowing cycling tour of historic, cultural, rural and modern Japan
From world-class sushi to legendary geisha, enthralling Japan is the perfect destination to discover by bicycle. Our cycling adventure gives you a slowed down, up close look of this fascinating country and allows ample opportunity to meet locals and glimpse the unique culture of the Land of the Rising Sun. From the temples, shrines and geisha of Kyoto to the frenetic but exhilarating chaos of Tokyo, and the beautiful serenity of the Noto Peninsula countryside in between, this cycling adventure has it all.
Save a space on your 2019 trip with only a €50 deposit until 31 August 2018.Terms & Conditions
Cycling allows you to get closer to the real Japan – from bicycles to Pokemon, serene temples to the organised chaos of the big cities, this classic adventure has it all.
Choose to end rewarding days in the saddle with amazing Japanese feasts of sushi, unagi, tempura or even fugu, all washed down with a traditional sake or Sapporo beer.
Ride both bikes and trains for the ultimate change of pace.
Cycle through peaceful landscapes that show a land far from the big city lights of Tokyo.
This trip covers anywhere between 10 to 80 km (6-50 miles) of cycling each day, so a reasonable level of fitness is required, although you’ll have plenty of rest breaks. Outside of the main cities a support vehicle will also be with you at all times, so if you get tired you can jump in. This trip is suitable for those seeking an active adventure and is a wonderful way to see the sights of Japan from a different perspective.
To complete this trip it is also important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
While riding the bikes you’ll be exposed to the elements, so please ensure you’re well prepared with waterproof clothing suitable for both warm and cold weather conditions.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle Japan 2019 trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
Based on traveller feedback the itinerary for the Cycle Japan trip has changed for 2019, reducing from 14 days down to 11 days and no longer starts in/visits Osaka.
1. A single supplement is only available on selected nights of this tour, due to limited availability at local hotels and ryokans. A single supplement can be purchased for just 4 nights of this tour (Days 4, 6, 9 & 10). On all other nights you will be roomed with a group member of the same gender.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so as we can organise a suitable sized bike.
3. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
4. Due to the expense of private transport, distances of airports from cities, and the fact that Japan has very efficient public transport airport links, transfers are not offered in Japan. Please see the Joining Point Instructions in the trip notes for more information.
5. Please note, decorative tattoos are uncommon in Japanese culture and therefore you may receive curious and sometimes disapproving looks from locals. Generally, nobody will make a comment about your tattoos but please endeavour to wear modest clothing and be aware that you may not be able to enter public onsens.
6. Accommodation in Japan can be difficult to secure at short notice. If you are travelling in Japan before or after your trip, we recommend booking accommodation at least 1 month in advance of travel, especially in high season (Mar to May, Sep to Nov).
Our Cycle Japan 2019 trips score an average of 4.83 out of 5 based on 30 reviews in the last year.
Amazing trip lead by awesome guides. Kenji and Mitch went above all my expectations with respect to support / knowledge sharing / organisation / building team spirits. The cycling days were varied in length - certainly for an active person I found the longer days a good challenge but not too much to take away from the enjoyment of the trip. We made lots of stops which kept us hydrated and in good spirits. It’s a very social trip with lots of variety in activities. Not huge amounts of personal time but it wasn’t needed in my opinion. You don’t need to take a towel or a rucksack! Definitely recommend :)
Review submitted 11 Aug 2018
Very very nice and varied trip with local tour guides. I loved it to cycle almost every day! I‘ve met really nice persons and I am glad I booked trid trip. Especially travelling in Japan with a local tourguide is useful when you don‘t speak Japanese!
Review submitted 29 Jul 2018