Take a mind-blowing cycling tour of historic, cultural and modern Japan
From world-class sushi to legendary geisha, enthralling Japan is the perfect country to see by bicycle and on our cycling adventure we see all sides of this fascinating country. Cycling means that everything is slower and up close in Japan which is the perfect way to interact with the locals as well as savour the unique culture of the land of the Rising Sun. From the frenetic chaos of Tokyo to cultural Kyoto and the beauty of the serene Noto Peninsula countryside this cycling adventure has it all.
For a limited time, lock in your spot on a 2018 adventure with just €1!Terms & Conditions
Cycling allows you to get closer to the real Japan – from bicycles to Pokemon, serene temples to the organised chaos of the big cities, this classic adventure has it all
Choose to end rewarding days in the saddle with amazing Japanese feasts of sushi, unagi, tempura or even fugu, all washed down with a traditional sake or Sapporo beer
Ride both bikes and trains for the ultimate change of pace
Cycle through peaceful landscapes that show a land far from the big city lights of Tokyo and Osaka
This trip covers anywhere between 10 to 80km / 6-50 miles of cycling each day, so a reasonable level of fitness is required, although you’ll have plenty of rest breaks. Outside of the main cities a support vehicle will also be with you at all times, so if you get tired you can jump in. This trip is suitable for those seeking an active adventure and is a wonderful way to see the sights of Japan from a different perspective.
To complete this trip it is also important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
While riding the bikes you’ll be exposed to the elements, so please ensure you’re well prepared with waterproof clothing suitable for both warm and cold weather conditions.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle Japan trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is not available on this trip.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so as we can organise a suitable sized bike.
3. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
4. It is not possible for clients to bring their own bikes on this trip.
5. Due to the expense of private transport, distances of airports from cities, and the fact that Japan has very efficient public transport airport links, transfers are not offered in Japan. Please see the Joining Point Instructions in the trip notes for more information.
6. Please note, decorative tattoos are uncommon in Japanese culture and therefore you may receive curious and sometimes disapproving looks from locals. Generally, nobody will make a comment about your tattoos but please endeavour to wear modest clothing and be aware that you may not be able to enter public onsens.
7. Accommodation in Japan can be difficult to secure at short notice. If you are travelling in Japan before or after your trip, we recommend booking accommodation at least 1 month in advance of travel, especially in high season (Mar to May, Sep to Nov).
Our Cycle Japan trips score an average of 4.81 out of 5 based on 21 reviews in the last year.
Tour guides were extremely accommodating. The scenery in the Noto Peninsula was wonderful, and we appreciated the tour leaders pointing out certain sites that we might have not noticed without their help. A word of caution - the Noto Peninsula is perfect for sashimi lovers, but having fish three times a day for meals can be a bit much. The itinerary was well thought through and the tour leaders did a nice job in educating us about the important cultural sites we visited.
Review submitted 07 Nov 2017
Excellent trip, take some wet weather gear with you, do some training beforehand as there are some long cycles. Mostly off the road and on tracks although cycling through Kyoto and Tokyo were particular highlights. Be open for anything, such a variety on this trip, it was amazing.
Review submitted 01 Nov 2017