Discover East Africa from Zimbabwe to Kenya
Experience the incredible East African wild as you explore from Victoria Falls to Nairobi on a 28-day Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid. Learn about the animals that call this part of the world home on 4WD safari drives, explore some of the world’s most pristine wildlife reserves and enjoy welcome from some of our local friends who can’t wait to show you their homeland. Visit Zanzibar’s pristine northern beaches and explore the cobbled streets of Stone Town, then get off the beaten track in the lush green of the Usambara Mountains. Find the heart of East Africa on this once-in-a-lifetime journey.
Book before 9 August and start looking forward to an adventurous new year.
Travel for good with a visit to Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust, a centre dedicated to the rehabilitation and rescue of wild animals like elephants, cheetahs and vultures.
Discover the 11th-century ruins of Great Zimbabwe during a guided tour of the World Heritage site, which was once the heart of a thriving empire.
Spend the day with Swahili women in Kisongo, learning to make a local dish, trying your hand at traditional crafts and learning about village life in Tanazania.
Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, lounging on white sand and cooling off in crystal waters of the Indian Ocean.
Take safaris across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater, through South Luangwa National Park and over the plains of the Serengeti in search of the Big Five.
This is a Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid, made for travellers who value their independence but also want the benefit of a local leader and a group of like-minded travellers. The itinerary has a mix of included activities and free time when your leader will offer suggestions. Please budget spending money for optional activities you want to partake in.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, got to https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the 2 nights spent in the park.
This is a ‘combo’ tour, which mean it’s made up of two or more itineraries that we have fit together. That means some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your journey.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please see your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This is a combination trip made up of 2 shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Stone Town as some group members leave and new ones join you.
4. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip finishes upon arrival at our finish point hotel in Nairobi on Day 28. Please do not book any flights until after 10pm this evening.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information