Six countries + thousands of animals + 31 days = countless memories
If you’re going all the way to Africa, you want to do it right. This 32-day journey through Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe offers a mixture of safari and wildlife spotting, mingling with people in villages and nomadic tribes, canoe cruising down the Okavango Delta, relaxing on white-sand beaches and sipping local beers in Vic Falls. This rugged adventure won’t just turn you into a master camper (though that’s bound to happen too). The landscapes, local stories and animal encounters will leave you changed forever.
Book before 9 August and start looking forward to an adventurous new year.
Ge ready to spot lions, cheetahs, zebras, elephants, hippos, gazelle, giraffes, ostriches, wildebeest – pretty much every character from the opening scene of the Lion King.
Hang with the red-clad Maasai folk. A local elder will explain to you what the tribe is all about, and they'll even show you around their house.
The rolling plains of the Masai Mara and Serengeti are quite simply epic. They also make for fairly unique environments in which to pitch a tent.
Ever helped save a Rhino? Make that a yes during a visit to Botswana’s Khama Rhino Sanctuary, where the last of the world’s black and white rhinoceros live.
There's nothing more relaxing than feeling the sun on your face as you lie back in a mokoro (dugout canoe) while your expert poler propels you through the Okavango Delta.
Loita Hills is a proper adventure – you'll be in a bush camp with no showers as the Maasai guard you from the animals.
Similarly, camping in the Serengeti means, well, camping in the Serengeti. It's very cool but remember there's no fence between you and the animals. Your expert leader will brief you on safety guidelines.
While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but half the fun is the camaraderie. For detailed info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Sometimes the going is slow – these roads aren't exactly a German autobahn. Patience is key! And a music player, preferably.
This is a participatory trip – a fancy way of saying you’re not just along for the ride, you are part of a team! Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and help out with camp activities like food prep and washing up. Plus, everyone knows there’s nothing worse than trying to put up a tent on your own!
The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino is well worth any loss of sleep.
You will be unescorted for the Zanzibar and Johannesburg sections of this itinerary, but our local representatives will be on hand to look after you if you need advice or assistance.
1. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. Days 10-15 in Zanzibar and Johannesburg are unescorted.
3. All flights are included in the price of the trip.
4. This trip finishes upon arrival in Johannesburg on Day 31. Please do not book any flights until after 10 pm this evening.
5. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Masai Mara National Reserve and Serengeti National Park are possible on this itinerary. Please see days 6 & 9 in the itinerary for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend that you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
6. On occasion, especially during the peak months of May, June and July we are unable to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information