Take a mind-blowing cycling tour of historic, cultural and modern Japan
From world-class sushi to legendary geisha, enthralling Japan is the perfect country to see by bicycle and on our cycling adventure we see all sides of this fascinating country. Cycling means that everything is slower and up close in Japan which is the perfect way to interact with the locals as well as savour the unique culture of the land of the Rising Sun. From the frenetic chaos of Tokyo to cultural Kyoto and the beauty of the serene Noto Peninsula countryside this cycling adventure has it all.
Cycling allows you to get closer to the real Japan – from bicycles to Pokemon, serene temples to the organised chaos of the big cities, this classic adventure has it all
End rewarding days in the saddle with amazing Japanese feasts of sushi, unagi, tempura or even fugu, all washed down with a traditional sake or Sapporo beer
Ride both bikes and trains for the ultimate change of pace
Cycle through peaceful landscapes that show a land far from the big city lights of Tokyo and Osaka
This trip covers anywhere between 10 to 65 km of cycling each day, so a reasonable level of fitness is required, although you’ll have plenty of rest breaks. A support vehicle will also be with you at all times, so if you get tired you can jump in. This trip is suitable for those seeking an active adventure and is a wonderful way to see the sights of Japan from a different perspective.
To complete this trip it is also important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
While riding the bikes you’ll be exposed to the elements, so please ensure you’re well prepared with waterproof clothing suitable for both warm and cold weather conditions.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle Japan trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is not available on this trip.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so as we can organise a suitable sized bike.
3. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
4. It is not possible for clients to bring their own bikes on this trip.
5. Due to the expense of private transport, distances of airports from cities, and the fact that Japan has very efficient public transport airport links, transfers are not offered in Japan. Please see the Joining Point Instructions in the trip notes for more information.
6. Please note, decorative tattoos are uncommon in Japanese culture and therefore you may receive curious and sometimes disapproving looks from locals. Generally, nobody will make a comment about your tattoos but please endeavour to wear modest clothing and be aware that you may not be able to enter public onsens.
7. Accommodation in Japan can be difficult to secure at short notice. If you are travelling in Japan before or after your trip, we recommend booking accommodation at least 1 month in advance of travel, especially in high season (Mar to May, Sep to Nov).
Our Cycle Japan trips score an average of 4.83 out of 5 based on 18 reviews in the last year.
The Japan cycle trip with intrepid was superb. It was well organised with professional and knowledgable local staff who looked after us at all times and really made the holiday special. Highly recommend the trip to travellers who want to expereince Japan (cities and country) in a safe and stress free environment with Intrepid guides
Review submitted 16 Oct 2017
This trip is a fantastic balance of cycling (40-100km per day), both flat rides and some steeper, longer hills, combined with amazing food, fantastic accommodation and if you have Tatsuya and Kazu as your guides, you will receive the best service I have ever experienced on a cycling trip.
Review submitted 15 Oct 2017