After decades of communist rule, Cuba is finally getting its time in the Caribbean sun
Lose yourself in the rhythm of vivacious Havana before setting out to explore Cuba's stunning coastline and weathered historical villages. Discover the unique combination of Spanish and Caribbean influences that shaped this country on a visit to rambunctious Santiago de Cuba. Learn whether you do, in fact, have two left feet in a salsa class and then brush up on your Spanish under the tutelage of your learned leader. Wander through the purposefully labyrinthine streets of Camaguey or marvel at the views from atop Trinidad's northern ranges. Whether you want to dance up a storm at one of Cuba's plentiful nightclubs or simply lie on its idyliic beaches, this emerging Caribbean hotspot has something for everyone.
Old-world charm, rich history, exciting nightlife - evocative Havana is like nowhere else on Earth. See the difference between city and coastal life on a guided walking tour of the old capital
Take inspiration from the locals and mix things up with a bicycle-taxi tour of the colonial city of Camaguey
Enjoy over two free days in Trinidad. Practice your Spanish in a language class, loll about on an unspoilt Caribbean beach or peddle through sugar plantations on a charmingly rickety bicycle
There's a lot more to the life of Che Guevara than what you'll learn from watching 'The Motorcycle Diaries'. Pay your respects to the famous revolutionary during an included visit to his mausoleum
After an informal salsa lesson, you'll be ready to hit the dance floor with the locals. With its vibrant music scene and Afro-Cuban roots, sultry Santiago de Cuba is a great place to practice your moves
The guesthouses (Casas) we use are much nicer than your average Cuban dwelling but keep in mind that each and every room is unique. Regardless of where you stay, power cuts and breaks in hot water are sometimes unavoidable, as in any developing country.
Funds can be difficult to access in Cuba. Ideally bring multiple credit cards from several different banks just to be sure.
Luxuries such as air conditioning, and even toilet seats, are often scarce. Part of the experience here is learning to appreciate everyday Cuban resourcefulness.
Internet access can be hard to come by, and when it's available it's often unreliable and expensive. This is, on the other hand, a great opportunity to take a break from modern devices and have a true holiday.
Cuba is different, and that's a big part of its allure. Things don't always go according to plan, and many things don't work the same way as back home. Patience and good humour will go a long way in this beautiful destination.
The bus used for the overnight journey is the same bus used for the duration of the trip and it’s not the kind of a sleeper bus that can be found in other destinations in Latin America. The seats have only a basic reclining function – similar to that found on planes on economy class. Sleeper buses don’t exist in Cuba just yet.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cuba Explorer trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available for purchase on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
4. The airport arrival transfer driver will know the address of your assigned guesthouse. If you have not booked the transfer prior to departure, or will not utilise it due to independent plans, please ensure you ask your booking agent inside 7 days of departure for your confirmed guesthouse name and address.
5. Guesthouse and rooming allocations are finalised inside a week from departure based on the configuration of each travelling party. Please advise bedding configuration requests to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
6. A visa or tourist card, organised prior to arrival, is required for all nationalities visiting Cuba.
7. The Cuban government has declared that travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers. Proof of insurance may be requested at Havana Airport by immigration officials.
8. There are unprecedented changes happening in Cuba right now. It is an exciting time but it also means some patience and understanding is required for the heightened demand of infrastructure, accommodation and services. To help set your expectations correctly, please read the ‘Is this trip right for you?’ and ‘Joining point description’ sections in the Essential Trip Information Document.
9. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Our Cuba Explorer trips score an average of 4.25 out of 5 based on 32 reviews in the last year.
I would look for a slightly more engaging tour with greater diversity in its itinerary.
Review submitted 18 Mar 2018
Cuba has stolen our hearts. A country in the early stages of group tourism, Cuba makes up for the rough edges with a warm welcome and genuine hospitality. Our intrepid leader Olexis, combined his passion, knowledge and approachability to make our Cuba experience a memorable one. Although the roads sometimes made the going slow, our bus was 5 star and our driver incredible. Within the first couple of days we were captivated by the tenacity of the Cuban people and their ability to live culturally rich lives through years of adversity. Staying in local Casas meant that we were able to get that little bit closer to the Cuban people and contribute to the growing family business initiatives. The live music scene in the easily accessible Salsa Bars was a unique experience. Thank you Intrepid for an unforgettable 9 days. Viva Cuba! The music, the art, the history, the people!
Review submitted 14 Mar 2018