Experience Yunnan's stunning nature, diverse cultures and mouth-watering food on this adventure from Kunming
Experience the breathtaking natural scenery, historical attractions, and diverse lifestyles for which the province of Yunnan is known in this 12-day tour. Hike one of Asia's finest geological wonders, Tiger Leaping Gorge, best beheld from the winding hiking trails high above the Yangzi River. Break bread with a Bai family and learn about the province's second-largest ethnic group. Travel to lofty, legendary Shangrila. Mingle with Tibetan pilgrims in Ganden Sumtseling Monastery. It's impossible to name all the myriad delights of Yunnan, so you'll just have to discover them for yourself.
Visit our local Bai friends in Dali and learn about Bai people and their way of life.
In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best-preserved traditional towns in Yunnan. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of hiking one of China's most breathtaking trails.
Journey to Shangrila and walk among Tibetan pilgrims in Sumtseling Monastery.
Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery.
You've never tried anything like Yunannese food! Get a different perspective on Chinese cuisine with the unique flavours of the local soup, noodles, mushrooms and even cheese.
This trip visits some destinations that are at high altitude (about 3200 metres), and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and Health Information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more details.
There are some long days of travel on public transport. While this is great for meeting locals and enjoying the countryside, it can be tiring, as conditions may be simpler than what you're accustomed to and may involve multiple vehicle changes to get to our destination.
There's a mix of accommodation on this trip – overnight trains, guesthouses and hotels.
Hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge is an unforgettable experience, with some truly awe-inspiring views. But if you're not up to a rigourous two days of walking through often tricky terrain, or have a fear of heights, you might like to reconsider. Some paths along the mountainside are extremely narrow, with a steep drop and few protective barriers. For those who aren't up for the most active inclusions on this trip, there is the option of staying in the guesthouse in town or travelling by road along the upper gorge (at own expense).
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Yunnan Explorer trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement to have your own room is bookable on this trip, subject to availability, and excludes the overnight train.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking or no later than 40 days before departure in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. A self assessment form is required for this trip due to traveling to high altitude (3200 meters) in Shangrila. Please check with your booking agent for the form
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information