From south to north, Vietnam is a kaleidoscope of wonderful people and picturesque landscapes. Imagine learning the mysteries of the Viet Minh in Ho Chi Minh City or exploring the beautiful lakes and boulevards of Hanoi - and what better way to get to know the locals than to be their guests at a local Mekong Delta guesthouse, or to eat breakfast the local way in Hue? Experience historical temples, visit Vietnam's spectacular coastline, enjoy delicious banquets and explore lively cities - all with a touch of comfort - on this 15-day Classic Vietnam tour.
Take a comprehensive trip through this South East Asian hotspot. The trip takes you from south to north, to the must-see tourists sites as well a a little off the beaten track.
This is a Comfort style trip, which means slightly higher standard hotels and a few more inclusions and meals than on most Original style itineraries. We also fly between some distant destinations to make the most of our time together.
We spend a night in a locally run guesthouse on the Mekong Delta - often a highlight for many of our travellers for its insight into local life.
Spend time on the coast in the popular seaside resort town of Nha Trang where you have time to stroll the sandy beaches and head out on the water to snorkel.
Discover just why Halong Bay is so popular as you spend the night on a boat among the evocative karst landscape and indulge in a feast of fresh seafood.
Sample local food wherever you go, from a seafood dinner on Halong Bay, street snacks at markets, coconut candy and tropical fruits in the Mekong Delta, and a special breakfast at KOTO restaurant.
We cover a lot of distance on this trip, including an overnight train from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang (approx 8 hours). Compartments are on a mixed gender basis and you may be sharing with locals or travellers from other groups. For more about what this experience is like, see our blog post here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/what-to-expect-on-an-overnight...
While the pace is generally easy, there is some walking involved on this trip, with walking tours in the downtown areas of each city, as well as a walk in the caves at Halong Bay.
At the guesthouse in the Mekong Delta, we stay in more basic accommodation than other destinations on the trip. Amenities are shared and may have cold water only.
We include a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels - an incredible insight into life during the war. Going inside the tunnels is optional as it can be a little claustrophobic for those who don’t like small spaces.
Depending on where you come from, the weather in Vietnam might be hotter and more humid than what you are used to. We recommend checking online for what the typical temperatures will be at the time of the year you are looking to travel to see what to expect - this website might be useful: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/vietnam/weather-in-vietnam
If you are looking for a shorter trip in Comfort style that takes in all the major highlights of Vietnam you might like to consider our Treasures of Vietnam (TVKB) itinerary.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Classic Vietnam trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport), for internal flights and train tickets.Ticketing fees may apply for amendments to details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing a new ticket.
2. We include some day use rooms on Days 4 & 5 which will be shared with other members of the group.
3. An airport arrival transfer is included. Please provide your flight details at the time of booking.
4. A Single Supplement to have your own room is bookable on this trip, subject to availability, and excludes Day 2 (Guesthouse), Day 4 (Overnight train) and Day 13 (Overnight boat) where you will be in shared accommodation.
5. This trip includes a domestic flight. Checked luggage allowance is a maximum 20kg, with up to 7kg carry on luggage. Any excess luggage charges will need to be paid directly to the airline at check-in.
Our Classic Vietnam trips score an average of 4.89 out of 5 based on 246 reviews in the last year.
My daughter recently did your trip in Sri Lanka and has other trips planned with you. Her enthusiasm for Intrepid encouraged us.
Review submitted 24 May 2018