Delight in visiting Chiang Mai elephants and experience Chiang Mai's spiritual side
See a different side of Chiang Mai by hanging out with the gentle giants of the Elephant Nature Park. Be greeted by an expert guide and learn about the plight of this humble species - whose mistreatment is sadly prevalent in many parts of South-East Asia. Help out by feeding one of these friendly creatures from the viewing platform. Then, for those who don't mind getting a bit damp, don some bathers and get wet and wild during bathing time. Wave goodbye to new friends and return to Chiang Mai to make offerings to monks, explore Kad Ton Payo flea market, enjoy a spot of meditation or taste regional specialties.
For bookings made after 5th of December and for travel in December 2017 or January 2018, if the Elephant Nature Park is fully booked you will be booked into our alternative BMP Elephant Care Project. This is due to the limited availability at the Elephant Nature Park during peak season.
Meet elephants in a responsible environment at the Elephant Nature Park, a unique project providing a sanctuary and rescue centre for these incredible creatures
Learn the story of rescued elephants and even get your swimgear on and help bathe them
Take a songthaew to Kad Ton Payom flea market and purchase offerings to give to monks
Discover local flavours with a traditional breakfast
Talk with the abbot at the 600-year-old Wat Umong Temple and learn about Buddhism and Dharma
Mingle with the monks and get some basic meditation tips in Wat Suan Dok
This Short Break Adventure is a ‘join in’ group departure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader – our local representative fills this role – and the configuration of any fellow travellers in the group might change during the trip. You will have the evenings to yourself and your guide can help suggest places to eat and shop.
This trip will run with a minimum of one person, so you may be joined by other travellers booked on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Chiang Mai & Elephants trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. An airport arrival transfer is included. Please provide your flight details at the time of booking.
2. For 2016 and 2017 departures this trip will now start on day one at 7pm.
3. The trip finishes on day 3 at approximately 12pm
4. This trip is operated by one of our local partners in Thailand and therefore you may be joined by a mixture of Intrepid-booked passengers and other travellers during activities.
5. For bookings made after 5th of December and for travel in December 2017 or January 2018, if the Elephant Nature Park is fully booked you will be booked into our alternative BMP Elephant Care Project. This is due to the limited availability at the Elephant Nature Park during peak season.