A short but sweet adventure from Shanghai to Beijing
Get a taste of China on this short but culture-filled adventure. Travel from modern Shanghai to old Beijing and explore busy Xi'an, taking in iconic attractions such as the Great Wall of China and Terracotta Warriors along the way. Of course, there is time to delve beneath the surface, discovering gourmet delights and learning about Chinese life and traditions.
Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it when face-to-face with thousands of Terracotta Warriors (or thousands of local tourists at the Forbidden City!)
Exploring the narrow alleyways of Shanghai's nearby water town of Xitang, you can imagine a life long lost to modernity
Escape to the countryside, overnight near the Great Wall at a family run guesthouse, and see this iconic structure without the masses
This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
The trip covers a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days.
We pack a lot in, in a short amount of time, so if you have some time to spare we highly recommend extra time in Shanghai and Beijing.
As a short, city based trip there's not a lot of time to experience China's beautiful natural landscapes or get further off the beaten track. If you have longer to spend exploring, consider our Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge, North or South China Getaway, China Experience, or Travel the Silk Road trips.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our China Highlights trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding the overnight train and guesthouse.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. An upgrade to a Soft Sleeper train compartment (4-berth compartment) is available on this trip.
5. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
Our China Highlights trips score an average of 4.8 out of 5 based on 176 reviews in the last year.
Trust your guide's food recommendations and you'll have the happiest tummy and taste buds
Review submitted 02 Feb 2018
Great intro to China loved I loved the local experience and the food was excellent, it was cold for my trip so pack the winter woolies if you go in winter and purchasing a thermos early on was great to have a hot drink handy
Review submitted 23 Jan 2018