Bhel Puri - with chutney
Some countries might serve hors d’oeuvres or appetizers before a meal, but in India it’s all about chaat (savoury snacks). This authentic Bhel puri is one of the better types of chaat going around – a plate of puffed rice, vegetables and a chutney (sauce), it is vegetarian-friendly and packed with flavour.
|Number of serves||
- 2 cups puffed rice, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- spices: 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chat masala
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbs mint and coriander chutney
- 2 tbs tamarind date chutney
- 2 potatoes, peeled, boiled, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup mung beans, cooked as per packet instructions
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts, toasted
- ½ lemon, juiced
Add 2 tsp oil to a frying pan and cook garlic over medium heat for 1 minutes. Add spices and cook until fragrant.
Pour into a bowl to cool. Combine 2 tbs mint and coriander chutney, tamarind date chutney, chilli, potatoes, tomatoes, mung beans, red onion, spices, coriander, peanuts and lemon juice in a large bowl.
Add puffed rice just before serving. Bhel puri is often served with papdis, sev and extra chutney.
Mint and coriander chutney:
- 1 bunch mint and 1 bunch of coriander - leaves removed, discard stems
- 1 green chilli
- 1 lemon
- 1cm (1/2 inch) ginger, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt, (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Blend mint, coriander, chilli, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth. Add yoghurt and blend again until smooth.
Tamarind and date chutney:
- ¼ cup tamarind paste
- ½ cup dates, seeds removed
- 2 cups water
- spices: 1 tsp ground cumin, roasted, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch red chilli powder
- salt, to taste
Heat a large pan over medium heat and add tamarind, dates and water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until softened.
Add spices and cook for a further minute. Cool, then blend until smooth.
Spend over three weeks discovering the sights, sounds and flavours of India. This unforgettable journey into the cultural and gastronomic heart of North & South India will satisfy every appetite.
Taste the world at home these authentic recipies