Wild, spiritual and remote – welcome to East Arnhem Land
In the farthest reaches of remote Northern Australia lies East Arnhem Land. This vast and rugged wilderness is where the Yolngu people have lived for millennia. Today you’ll still find clans fishing, sailing and enjoying the homeland of their ancestors. Discover this beautiful stretch of traditional land in the Bawaka Homeland, and learn how to hunt and gather, paint, weave, and hear stories of the area and history of the region, all under the guidance of Yolngu leaders. Then depart the mainland for nearby Dhambaliya (Bremer Island) and feel like castaways marooned on this spectacular oasis, devoid of human development and interference. Don’t pass up this unique opportunity to witness the close cultural connection between the land and The First Peoples of Australia, the oldest civilization on Earth.
Book before 9 August and start looking forward to an adventurous new year.
Join us for a privileged adventure to East Arnhem Land. Be welcomed to Country by the Yolngu people and learn about their traditional methods of living, from hunting and gathering, to painting and weaving.
Learn about gender roles and responsibilities, kinship and moiety, stories about the area and the history of the region.
Sit around the campfire with East Arnhem Land’s traditional owners and listen to the stories and songs of their people.
Travel to remote Dhambaliya (Bremer Island) and enjoy time to relax and soak up the remoteness of this beautiful oasis.
Visit the Yirrkala community and its world-famous art gallery featuring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artwork.
East Arnhem Land remains the same rugged wilderness that the Yolngu people’s ancestors walked. Due to the remoteness of the location, accommodation is no-frills , with multi-share rooms and basic amenities and facilities. There’s little connection to the outside world, but this means you can really connect with the land.
The Yolngu people’s culture and history are incredibly important to them, and they want to share it with the outside world. To be part of this is a privilege and requires sensitivity and patience towards guides, staff and your Yolngu staff.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our East Arnhem Land Adventure trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is not available on this trip.
2. Luggage must be kept to a maximum of 15kgs per person in a backpack or soft overnight bag with a small additional day pack.
3. It is prohibited to take alcohol on this trip as much of East Arnhem Land is alcohol-free.
4. If you are wanting additional accommodation on Bremer Island or in Nhulunbuy, you will need to book online with the hotel.
5. Due to the remoteness of the location, accommodation is no-frills , with multi-share rooms and basic amenities and facilities.
6. In order to protect the Indigenous communities that we visit on this trip, our local partners require that all travellers must provide a negative COVID-19 test before joining a trip. This test must be taken within 72 hours of Day 1 of your trip. You will need to present evidence of when the test was taken, along with the negative result (digital or paper) to your Intrepid Tour Leader at the Group Meeting on Day 1. If you are unable to take and receive the results of a test within 72 hours of Day 1, please contact us to discuss your options further.
7. The complimentary arrival transfer is only available for Day 1 of the trip. If you are arriving early, the trip will start at the Walkabout Lodge, 12 Westal St, Nhulunbuy NT 0880, where you will have your Welcome Meeting at 6.30pm.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information