30% OFF last minute cycling adventures
Hurry, offer only available while spots last. Trips must depart by December 22, 2019. See full terms and conditions.
Cycle the world
We think the world’s at its best when there’s nothing between it and you. No big bus window. No iPhone screen. No maps or walls or guidebooks. Just the wind and the open road.
This is cycling Intrepid-style. Which means it’s not the Tour de France. You don’t get prizes for coming in first, and the lycra bodysuits are definitely optional. These trips are for people who really want to see a place, not just travel it. Ride on.
A view from the bike
Trip: 12-day Cycle Tanzania
Our cycling tours span the gamut of two-wheeled challenges: from a leisurely ride through Vietnam to cycling across landscapes of Cuba. Some of these trips include cycling as just one of a number of active adventures, others are more cycling focussed (ie. You’ll be riding almost every day).
All airlines will have their own rules and fees when transporting bikes. Make sure you contact the airline (preferably) before you pay for your flights to see what charges and requirements they have.
Before you go, you must box your bike for transport. See our section ‘taking your own bike vs. hiring one’ for more information.
On all of our cycling tours your accommodation is pre-booked and your luggage is transferred from one point to the next. All you have to carry is water, and any snacks or gadgets you may want and a few layers to keep you dry and warm. A small, lightweight backpack may come in handy.
Helmets are compulsory on our cycling tours, so you can either bring your own or (to save on luggage space) buy one at a local bike shop once you arrive in-country. We also recommend you bring your own water bottle/hydration pack, and closed shoes. You may also wish to bring Cycling shorts, and (if you ride regularly at home) your own saddle and pedals. Many of our clients who do not ride regularly find a gel seat cover helpful in making the ride more comfortable. For more info on packing, check out the What to Pack section of your Trip Notes.
All you need to enjoy our cycling trips is the ability to ride a bicycle and a passion for seeing a destination on two wheels. That’s about it.
While there are occasionally longer days on some itineraries, the vast majority of our cycling days are between 30-60kms and are done at a leisurely pace with plenty of opportunities to stop and enjoy the scenery/just take a break. Anyone with a reasonable level of fitness will get by with no troubles.
Our cycling trips are done predominantly on sealed roads (with the odd unsealed section), but none of the trips require any specialist cycling skills. We’ve also researched extra riding routes in each of the destinations we visit, so if you want to stretch your legs a bit more, you can.
We run risk assessments on each and everyone of our cycling trips to make sure they’re up to scratch, and your cycling leaders have personally ridden every inch of the itinerary in advance. We’ve assessed the road conditions, the level of traffic and any potential blackspots. Our leaders are trained in cycling health and safety, as well as basic first aid, and we usually have a vehicle following us if an evacuation ever becomes necessary. We’ve also made sure our cycling tours depart during the milder months, when the weather isn’t too hot or too cold, so the ride should be as pleasant (and safe) as possible.
Not as a rule. Any injuries you might suffer while riding should be covered by the more reputable comprehensive policies (we can recommend some good brands if you’re unsure of what to get). It’s always important to double check the fine print before departing on your trip, and be aware that (like all Intrepid trips) travel insurance is compulsory on our cycling itineraries.
1. The offer of 30% OFF Intrepid small group adventure trips in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, New Zealand, USA, Cuba, Japan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Cycling & Sailing is only available in USD & CAD.
2. The offer applies to bookings made between October 29 - November 27, 2019, and is for trips departing between November 1- December 22, 2019.
3. The offer is valid on all Intrepid Travel small group adventure trips in these countries (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, New Zealand, USA, Cuba, Japan, Sri Lanka, Nepal), in addition to all Intrepid Cycling and Sailing trips worldwide, but excludes any private groups, external sell-ins, Expeditions, Short Breaks, Adventure Cruising, Polar and Urban Adventures' tours. See the 'Important Notes' section of our 'Trip Notes' or contact our sales staff if you are unsure if your desired trip is excluded.
4. The trip is subject to availability and confirmation by Intrepid Travel at the time of booking.
5. A deposit of $400 USD/CAD is required at the time of booking. A deposit of $99 USD/CAD is required at the time of booking for Intrepid 18-29's trips.
6. For Intrepid Travel standard small group adventures and 18-29’s trips, full payment is required at least 56 days prior to travel. If booking and traveling with less than 56 days to go until departure, full payment is needed at the time of booking.
7. There will be no extensions to the booking, travel or payment periods.
8. The offer can only be applied to new bookings. Under no circumstances will the discounts be applied to existing bookings.
9. The offer cannot be combined or used in conjunction with any other offers.
10. The offer cannot be applied to airfares, trip kitties, travel insurance, extra accommodation, single supplements, visas, etc.
11. Intrepid Travel's Booking Conditions will also apply to the trip booked and it is imperative that you examine those conditions before booking with Intrepid Travel. The most up-to-date Booking Conditions are accessible at http://www.intrepidtravel.com/booking-intrepid/booking-conditions.
12. As outlined in the Intrepid Travel Booking Conditions, travel insurance is compulsory for all Intrepid Travel travelers and should be taken out prior to or at the time of booking. See the Booking Conditions for more details.
13. Trip prices and itineraries are subject to change at any time, including after booking. If there is a significant price change to a trip that is outside the control of Intrepid Travel (i.e. a significant increase in third party service provider costs), travelers may need to be re-invoiced at the new price. Promotions and discounts will still apply to the new price.
14. Some trips must meet minimum number requirements prior to confirmation so please check at the time of booking.