Take on the ultimate African adventure from Zimbabwe to Botswana and into South Africa
Get to know southern Africa’s big three most exciting destinations – Hwange and Kruger national parks and the jaw-dropping Victoria Falls. From South Africa's sprawling modern capital to a traditional village in Botswana, you'll experience a dizzying diversity of communities, cultures and landscapes in just over a week. Oh, and did we mention the animals you’ll see? You can expect rhino-tracking and 4x4 safaris in the day and by night you'll head out in search of the Big Five - keep your eyes (and ears) peeled.
Some of our under-30 travellers prefer to get around with people their own age. If that’s you, you’re in the right place!
Over 29? We’ve got over 900 other great adventures to choose from for solo travellers, friends, families, food lovers, hiking enthusiasts, and more.
For a limited time only take an additional 20% off select trips* - Offer ends soon!Terms & Conditions
Travel solo, together
You're never alone when travelling solo with Intrepid
Discover the stunning cascades of Victoria Falls whichever way you please, with so many options to choose from – helicopter, anyone?
Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust to learn about the rehabilitation of wildlife from conflict and poaching and have the possibility of meeting some rescued or orphaned wildlife currently in their care.
Pay the famous elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit from an open-air 4x4 vehicle on an exciting overland adventure.
Take your safari game to the next level by tracking rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matabos National Park.
What is the sound of a roaring lion if not a sweet soothing lullaby? You'll be camping right in the grounds of Kruger National Park, so you be the judge.
The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts. Don't worry, the thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino will be well worth any loss of sleep.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the ‘big five’. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Please note that this trip can be partnered with other adventures into a ‘combo’, which means that some of your fellow travellers may have begun their journey before today, and some may carry on to further destinations at the end of this tour. If you’d like to spend more time in Africa, have a look at the combos that include this trip’s itinerary: Epic African Adventure (YGYSC) & Real Southern Africa (UBYSC).
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Essential African Safari trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip finishes upon arrival in Johannesburg on Day 9. Please do not book any flights until after 10pm this evening.
3. On occasion, especially during the peak months of May to September and December we are not able to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
4. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
5. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information