Explore New Zealand’s wild West Coast on two wheels
Feel the fresh West Coast wind in your hair (well, in your helmet) as you cycle through some of the South Island’s most spectacular scenery. Discover a region renowned for rugged coastline, fascinating inland, dazzling mountains, incredible beaches and one of New Zealand’s great rides – the incomparable Wilderness Trail. Pedal your way from Hokitika to Greymouth through ancient rainforests, past glacial rivers and around brooding lakes, with plenty of time to soak in magnificent views and spin a yarn with the locals. Four days, two wheels, and one unforgettable adventure.
For a limited time only secure your dream 2023 adventure for $99 - Offer ends soon!Terms & Conditions
Set out on one of New Zealand’s great rides as you cycle the West Coast Wilderness Trail through the South Island’s untamed natural wilderness.
The scenery is wild, but the ride is smooth as you follow mostly traffic-free cycle paths and trails with amazing West Coast scenery at every turn.
When you’re not on two wheels, explore on two feet during hikes at Lake Kaniere at the spectacular Point Elizabeth Lookout, where you can see the ocean stretch to the mountains.
Experience the famous hospitality of New Zealander’s firsthand on a trail built specifically to cater to cyclists.
Cycle in the company of an experienced guide as they share their unique perspective of this fascinating region.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
This trip does not have a support vehicle, however our luggage is transported for you. To avoid the long uphills we use a transfer vehicle to the start of the rides on Day 2 and 3.
Accommodation on the Wilderness Trail can be booked out months in advance so there may be occasions where we stay in nearby locations to those advertised. Your leader will inform you at the initial group meeting if this is the case on your departure.
Due to the relatively small distances cycled on this trip, we have a single leader that rides with the group.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle New Zealand's West Coast Wilderness Trail trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts at 4pm in Hokitika and finishes on arrival back to Greymouth on Day 4 (approx 4pm)
2. Please note no included accommodation in Greymouth.
3. To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
4. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group. There may be times when the leader asks a client to be the backmarker.
5. This trip includes vehicle transfers on days 2 & 3, and your luggage is transported for you from accommodation to accommodation each day.
6. Luggage is limited to 1 bag per client, no heavier than 15kgs.
7. Our riding is done mostly on a well-graded and maintained gravel cycle path, so there are no technical cycling skills required.
8. An e-bike option (at additional cost) may be available on this trip. We have limited numbers of these bikes available and they are on an 'on request' basis only - it is important to advise us o your height at the time of request.. A request does not guarantee an e-bike, only a confirmed booking. Please ask your agent for more details at the time of booking.
9. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information