Enjoy an in-depth exploration through the delights of India and Nepal
Combine the best of India and Nepal in one superbly comfortable trip. Experience the colour and chaos of Delhi's bazaars, visit erotic temple carvings in Khajuraho and witness intimate displays of faith on the burning ghats of Varanasi. Roam the grounds of the iconic Taj Mahal, head out on a jungle safari and listen for the whispering prayer flags of Kathmandu. Throw in temple towns and village visits, lakeside retreats and mountain hikes, spiritual moments and local interactions for an unforgettable tour bursting with incredible adventures.
Discover the man-made beauty that lies across the north of India – from Jaipur’s ‘Palace of the Winds’ and Royal City Palace, Agra’s Red Fort and iconic Taj Mahal, to the carved steps leading down to the river in Varanasi
The magical splendour of the Taj Mahal is a must-see on any North Indian odyssey. Enjoy a guided exploration of this immaculate icon. Here's what you need to know before your visit: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/taj-mahal-travel-guide/
Be immersed in the spirituality of India – the Jama Masjid mosque in Delhi, the ghats of Varanasi, Kama Sutra carved temples and Buddhist pilgrimage sites; evening prayer ceremonies, ancient bathing rituals and candle flower ceremonies on the Ganges
Feel the magic of India that runs through everything, from a throbbing bazaar to a packed cinema showing a Bollywood blockbuster
Beginning and ending in Kathmandu, there's more than enough time to discover the Nepali capital's staggeringly rich cultural and artistic heritage
Whether it's flying, hiking, driving or canoeing, this trip will let you experience Nepal's stunning natural beauty from all angles
Witness world-class mountain scenery from heavenly viewpoint, with a breathtaking Everest flight
Take a jeep safari and jungle walk with an expert resident naturalist Chitwan National Park, a beauty brimming with exotic bird life and game
Get hands-on overview of Nepal's diverse architecture, from the stately Newari dwellings in Bandipur to the hill-perched Buddhist Peace Pagoda in Pokhara
This trip includes an overnight train on day 8. This train takes approx. 12 hours. Train travel is a classic Indian experience. Sleeper trains are clean and air-conditioned and a great way to travel long distances while still getting maximum time in each place. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of the same or opposite gender. For your own security, take a lock for your hand luggage.
Between December and February trains can be delayed due to fog, (but this just adds to the country’s atmospheric vistas).
In the summer months Rajasthan can get very hot. Be sure to drink lots of water, pack light cotton clothing and use adequate skin protection.
Please note there are several early mornings on this trip, allowing you to see more of the country in the captivating morning light.
Delays are inevitable. Embracing the slow pace and meditative atmosphere will go a long way toward your enjoyment of this beautiful country.
The hotel in Bhaktapur is very centrally located, though not quite of the same standard as the other accommodation on this trip.
Exploring Chitwan National Park's beautiful trails on foot requires a reasonable level fitness.
This trip does not go to high altitude
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
1. A single supplement is available on this trip and is valid for all nights on tour with the excepton of the overnight train.
2. An airport arrival transfer is included. Please provide your flight details at the time of booking.
3. Hot air balloon flights are operated by Sky Waltz in Jaipur. Flights operate mornings from September to June and morning and evening from September to March. Morning flights depart around sunrise and evening flights late afternoon and last 60 mins. Return transfers, tea and coffee plus light refreshments and a certificate of flight are included in the cost. You can register your interest and pay your tour leader at your joining meeting on day 1 of your trip. Payment must be made by cash in either INR/AUD/USD/GBP only and is USD$250pp (subject to change). Flights are subject to weather conditions and tickets are fully refundable in case of poor weather.
4. As this is a combination tour your group composition and leader will change on Day 12.
5. The transfers and flight from Delhi to Kathmandu is included in your trip costs. Please note that this flight is unaccompanied.
6. Using mud pack therapy the Archaeological Survey of India is planning to clean the four small canopies around the main dome of the Taj Mahal from the start of April 2018. This will be followed by the cleaning of the main dome but that could take some time as ASI is yet to calculate its load bearing capacity. The ASI’s science branch officials have stated that cleaning the four canopies will take approximately 2 months while main dome cleaning will be completed in phases. We will continue to update as information becomes available.
Our India & Nepal trips score an average of 4.5 out of 5 based on 2 reviews in the last year.
The North India highlights were all worth seeing, but distances between some destinations were vast, so travel time was long. The India itinerary was non stop, I would’ve preferred more free time. Nepal was a calming respite after hectic India and there was enough free time scheduled.
Review submitted 24 Mar 2018