Experience the beauty of Africa from Nairobi to Zanzibar
Explore the road to Zanzibar and find a bevy of sights, sounds and experiences that surprise and delight at every turn. Whether you’re looking out for lions in the Serengeti or hiking a lush mountain trail in the Usambara Mountains, you’ll be sure to learn something new about this beautiful land. Visit a charitable children’s initiative in Moshi and hang out with the local Chagga people in Mshiri to learn about the traditional way of life here. You are sure to leave Zanzibar with a great appreciation for this African paradise.
Cyber Sale on now! 15% OFF all trips* departing February 1 - September 30, 2018. Book by November 30th.Terms & Conditions
Explore the stunning Serengeti and discover animals unlike any you have ever seen
Partake in community activities in Mto wa Mbu with a guided stroll around the farming areas
Embark on a safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open roof safari 4x4 for a chance to see a Black Rhino.
Wander around Stone Town’s bustling bazaars and fragrant spice markets and receive a guided tour of the spice plantations
Travel with 3 local crew members; Group leader, driver and cook.
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the 2 nights spent in the park.
At Usambara Mountains the group will do a an easy hike to the beautiful Irente viewpoint.
We use our purpose-built overland vehicles for the duration of this trip. This multi-purpose truck allows for great game viewing with large sliding windows. As such the trucks do not have air-conditioning and conditions can be dusty and hot.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip. Therefore the going can be slow over the long distances and often bumpy roads.
This is a participatory camping trip. You will be expected to set up and take down you own tent as well as assist with food preparation and cleaning.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
1. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This is a combination trip made up of 2 shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Stone Town as some new group members join you.
4. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip finishes upon arrival at our finish point hotel in Stone Town on Day 13. Please do not book any flights until after 2pm this afternoon.
Our Road to Zanzibar trips score an average of 4.8 out of 5 based on 153 reviews in the last year.
This trip is definately not for the faint of heart given the amount of camping, "rougher"/basic facilities, but if you are up for an adventure - this is highly recommended! Adventure seekers unite on this trip and set a tone of exploring and enjoying!
Review submitted 21 Nov 2017
Intrepid is the way to go for 3rd world travel! It combines the safety of being with an experienced guide familiar with the country and culture and the group experience that is always full of character! I am extremely impressed with this company.
Review submitted 17 Nov 2017