See the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica
Get ready for a fast-paced adventure through the best of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica. From beautiful black-sand beaches to tropical forests alive with jungle melodies, this pocket of Central America is a natural paradise. Whether you're shopping in colonial Antigua, exploring the intricately carved structures at Copan, relaxing on the coast of El Salvador or taking a walk through Monteverde's enchanting cloud forest, you'll get a wonderful insight into Central America during this incredible adventure.
Discover Central America, a land of mysterious Mayan ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles. Get a taste of four countries on this epic Latin adventure
Experience an El Salvador of the past in the colonial town of Suchitoto, before savouring the blissful present on black sand beaches. Stray off the beaten track in El Cuco and summon your inner surfie in El Tunco
Hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde in Costa Rica. Get up close to nature among the hundreds of mammal, bird and plant species that call this place home
Encounter Costa Rica's famous Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna. Whether it's reflecting back at you in the lake or heating the thermal pools you're stewing away in, the magnificent volcano always makes its presence felt
This trip involves some long travel days, especially on Day 8 from El Cuco to Granada. This 14-hour journey includes a boat trip across the Gulf of Fonseca and several hours in a mini-van. Although this can be tiresome, it's a great opportunity to sit back, enjoy the passing scenery and to bond with your fellow travellers. This is a real Central American adventure, after all.
As this trip covers destinations across five countries, you'll need to make several border crossings. While these are usually straightforward, please prepare to be patient.
Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated - especially when out on walking tours.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. If you'd prefer to take it easy, however, there are plenty of other things you can do instead.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 04 February 2019 to 31 December 2019. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 03 February 2019
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. To have a private room on this trip, a single supplement is bookable; subject to availability.
3. Please be careful when booking flights to Antigua; make sure you fly into Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do NOT book flights to Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
4. Please be careful when booking flights from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaría International Airport [SJO]. Please do NOT book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
5. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Our Central American Journey trips score an average of 4.48 out of 5 based on 357 reviews in the last year.
Try to get on with your travel mates, be mindful, tolerant & flexible. Not everyone wants to bungee jump or party till 2am. Everyone likes/wants something different. You aren't at home so remember things are done differently in other countries....and you will home soon enough.
Review submitted 09 Aug 2018
EXCELLENT ITINTERIES WITH OUTSTANDING GUIDES. YOU HAVE THE CONVENIENCE OF AN ORGANISED TRIP WITH THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE HOW YOU WISH TO SPEND YOUR MORE THAN ADEQUATE AMOUNT OF FREE TIME. MANY SUGGESTED OPTIONAL ACTIVITES TO REINFORCE THOSE INCLUDED.
Review submitted 09 Aug 2018