Explore the big cities and small villages of China from Beijing to Hong Kong
China really does have it all: tranquil countryside offering jaw-dropping natural scenery and invigorating hikes, neon cities boasting incredible food and scintillating nightlife and points of historical, artistic and cultural interest at every turn. Get acquainted with this country's complexities and contrasts on this fascinating 23-day adventure that will have you walking the Great Wall, trekking through the Longji Rice Terraces, idling the hours away in serene Hongcun, drifting along the Li River and living it up in Hong Kong. Jam-packed with colour and culture, China will astonish you with the levels of diversity and distinction contained within its borders.
NEW UPDATES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will become 20 days in length and no longer include Xiamen and Tulou Village. This is based on feedback from past travellers that they would prefer a shorter trip that still includes the key highlights in southern China.
See the amazing contrasts between north and south China, from the chaotic and exciting capital to the photogenic landscapes of Yangshuo
Visit the famous Terracotta Warriors, stay overnight in a unique Hakka village roundhouse, and trek through rice terraces and the villages of Longji
Overnight at the Great Wall at a family run guesthouse, and see this iconic structure without the crowds
Stay in a Tulou for a unique overnight experience – these huge earthen structures are like ancient apartment buildings, where generations of the same clan can live together
Starting and ending in two of the country's largest and most bustling cities – Beijing and Hong Kong – you’ll also be able to experience the dazzling future of modern China
This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
We cover a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days. As we use plenty of public transport, you will be better off to bring only minimal belongings, or to leave your larger luggage in Beijing/Shanghai and take a smaller bag with you to some destinations.
We pack a lot in, in a short amount of time, so if you have some time to spare we highly recommend extra time in Beijing & Hong Kong.
This trip includes a mixture of free time and included activities, giving you choice and flexibility to pursue your own interests in China.
This trip includes overnight stays at family-run guesthouses and homestays, with more basic facilities than hotels, such as cold water showers and outdoor squat toilets.
With plenty of walks and treks included, you'll need a good level of fitness to get the most out of this trip. Walking shoes with good support and grip are essential.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding overnight trains and guesthouses
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. In winter months (Nov-Feb), we may stay in alternative guesthouses near the Great Wall due to the cold weather. This may also alter our trekking route along the Great Wall.
6. This is a combination tour which will save you the hassle of making multiple bookings. But please note that your tour leader and tour composition may change at Day 12.
7. The flight from Guilin to Xiamen is included in the trip price.
Our Beijing to Hong Kong trips score an average of 4.63 out of 5 based on 16 reviews in the last year.
We really enjoyed travelling with intrepid. We felt like we got to see the real china, or at least as much as we could given we couldn't speak the language in order to stay and mingle with the locals
Review submitted 01 Jul 2018
It was a great way to see the eastern part of China - hit the highlights for sure! Highly recommend for a first time traveler. Can't wait to go back!
Review submitted 08 Nov 2017