Distinctive and remote, Bhutan offers beauty, history and adventure by the bucketload.
Bhutan is the little secret of Asia. Overshadowed and nestled between China and India, it is a relatively new travel spot, with many undiscovered secrets in its natural scenery and quiet townships. The land is dotted with red-clothed monks, ancient Buddhist temples and friendly smiles. It is one calm country, where gross national happiness is more important than money, where chillies are used as a vegetable rather than for spice, and the thunder dragon, Druk, is emblazoned on the national flag, symbolising the people of Bhutan: loyal, patriotic and living with a total sense of belonging within the kingdom.
The happiest land on earth, Bhutan is a hidden paradise with no traffic lights, laws governing minimum forest coverage and some amazing feats of archery.
Only a small number of visitors are allowed into Bhutan each year. Its pretty special.
The climb to Tigers Nest, while tough, is a richly rewarding and sobering experience
Here's just some of what our past travellers have learned from their travels to Bhutan: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/bhutan-tour-learnings/
Whilst only a small country, there are long travel days in Bhutan, most roads are single lane and travel by vehicle is slow and tiring.
The trek to Tigers nest is quite vigorous, but its well worth the climb.
Bhutan is at high altitude, a day or two taking it easy makes for a much more comfortable trip. Drink tea and lots of water on arrival and avoid strenuous exercise while acclimatising.
Travel in Bhutan is strictly controlled and to do any independent travel outside of a group tour is extremely difficult and expensive to arrange. We provide a group visa for travellers on our tours in Bhutan, which stipulates that all travellers must arrive and depart on the same days that our tour program starts and finishes. For this reason we are generally not able to provide additional accommodation outside of our tour dates and advise all travellers to book flights in and out of Bhutan that correspond with the start and finish day of the tour. In the rare case that no flights are available and you need to arrive earlier or depart later we are only able to book additional accommodation for you in conjunction with a special individual visa which can add around AUD1000 to the cost of your tour, to be paid at the time of booking.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Bhutan Discovered trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. An airport arrival and departure transfer is included in Bhutan.
2. Please provide Intrepid or your booking agent with a scanned colour copy of the personal details page from your passport at time of booking. Failure to do this delays group visa.
3. Please advise all international flight details at least 60 days prior to departure.
4. Please be aware that Bhutan's airlines are renowned for last minute changes to flight timetables into and out of Bhutan. Please allow a min of 6-8 hours transit time between your international flight and flight into Bhutan. Timetables are available on the Druk Airlines and Air Bhutan websites.
5. All travellers must arrive on Day 1 and depart on Day 7 to be eligible for a group visa.
6. A single supplement is available on this trip and is applicable for all nights on tour.
7. All meals are included during your time in Bhutan.
Our Bhutan Discovered trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews in the last year.
Bhutan is a very special and a prime travel destination. This trip was amazing..even better than I had anticipated.
Review submitted 29 May 2018
Excellent tour,the perfect mix of outdoors and culture. Not too much driving and great to stay multiple nights in each place. Fabulous accommodation and picnics, with food and views to die for. The Tigers Nest is the cherry on the top, wow. Brilliant trip in an interesting and stunning country.
Review submitted 22 May 2018