Travel through the wild untamed lands of beautiful Borneo
Imagine a place that is spiritual and wild, colourful and mysterious, and full of tantalising secrets - this is beautiful Borneo. From the steamy jungles of Mulu National Park and the secluded beaches of Turtle Island, to the graceful orangutans at Sepilok and small villages nestled in the shadow of Mt Kinabalu, Borneo is a true gem of South East Asia. Experience captivating sunsets, be welcomed on homestays, travel along scenic trails, laze on tropical beaches and see an abundance of wildlife - this is a tour to remember forever.
One of the last remaining truly wild places on earth, Borneo offers rare treats for the nature lover – see Orangutans at the Semenggoh Sanctuary and the quirky proboscis monkeys in Bako National Park
Discover the colourful history of the Iban people and spend the night in a modern longhouse with a local family
Explore one of the world’s largest cave networks and witness a sunset hunting exodus of millions of bats, twisting through the sky like a plume of black smoke in Gunung Mulu National Park
Follow in the infamous footsteps of tribal warriors on a trek through wild, dense jungle on the Headhunters’ Trail
Experience next-level vistas from the top of Mt Kinabalu climb on a two-day climb that will really get the heart pumping
Witness nature at its most beautiful with a night on Turtle island, watching mother turtles come ashore to lay their eggs
Cruise down the Kinabatangan river and search for wildlife in this rich and unique ecosystem
It’s best to pack light for this trip. There is a strict 15 kg maximum luggage limit on the included internal flights. Excess luggage will incur extra fees to the traveller.
A small to medium size day backpack is required for the time in Mulu NP and on the Headhunters Trail. Your main pack will be forwarded on, so there will be days when you don’t have access to it. Pack light and smart.
This trip includes a number of wonderful long walks through forest and jungle, especially the 11.5-kilometre Headhunters’ Trail, so a good level of fitness is required.
The Mt Kinabalu trek is very challenging, including an altitude of more than 2800 metres and an early morning to summit in the dark, so we recommend a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this unforgettable climb.
You may have to purchase some items for this trip. Check the 'Packing' section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
You will get to experience a wide range of accommodation types on this trip – some dormitory rooms in hostels, a homestay, guesthouses, jungle lodge and hotels. Some may be a little more basic than our standard hotels, but their unique location and close proximity to wildlife is what makes them special.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Best of Borneo trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Please provide passport details at time of booking, as these are essential for booking services on this trip.
2. Strict luggage limits apply for this trip. See the 'Packing' section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
3. A single supplement is available on some nights of this trip. Please note that on the following nights the supplement is not available; Days 4 - 6 (Mulu National Park), Days 7 & 11 (homestay), Day 12 - 13 (Mt Kinabalu), Days 14 - 15 (Poring Hot Springs) and Day 18 (Turtle Island).
4. We ask all of our travellers to familiarise themselves with their own government travel advisories and to check if they have issued any warnings regarding Eastern Sabah. Government warnings can affect the level of coverage that is offered by insurance providers.
5. Please check and monitor for any entry requirements update through this website: https://covidprotocol.moh.gov.my/. You'll be required to take a test within 24 hours after arrival, even if you'll transit in Kuala Lumpur for your flight. You'll need to leave enough time for the test result to return if you transit through Kuala Lumpur International Airport, so please check with your airline for the best approach. We highly recommend finish booster shot before travelling as Malaysia applies different quarantine measures for travellers when there's a positive case or a close contact, depending on their vaccines, vaccination status and age. You'll find out which category you belong to when you verify your vaccination on their official portal.
6. Please note that rapid antigen test is required for climbing Mt. Kinabulu. This can easily be organized locally at a cost about 2 USD per test, or you may bring one from home.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information