Conquer ancient pathways on the historic Inca Trail
Travel to Peru and retrace the steps of the Inca, Peru's fascinating ancient civilisation. Beginning in Lima, journey through the fertile heartland of the Sacred Valley, see the magnificent Ollantaytambo ruins before the ultimate destination – reaching Machu Picchu. This action-filled Peruvian tour gets you closer to the secrets of this elusive civilisation on a breathtaking adventure along the Inca Trail.
Click here to see Inca Trail permit availability.
Lima’s grand colonial facades, Spanish houses and endless culture make it one of the prettiest cities to explore in Latin America.
Explore Cusco, South America's oldest continuously inhabited city. The city has ancient foundations, an interesting blend of Incan and colonial influences, and seemingly endless things to do and see.
Adjust to the altitude with a pisco sour and some ceviche to get to know Peruvian cuisine.
This trip gives both trekkers and non-trekkers the chance to visit Machu Picchu with Inca Trail, Quarry Trail and train options.
Travel through the Sacred Valley - known for its steep and soaring scenery, its mystical significance for the Inca and the indigenous cultures that still reside here.
Explore the greatest icon of ancient South America, Machu Picchu, on a guided tour.
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and Health Information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for detail.
This trip involves a lot of walking to see the sites, and if you trek the Inca Trail or Quarry Trail, there'll be strenuous hiking. The trip is recommended for those with a good level of fitness. Please bring comfortable footwear suitable to hiking. See the ‘Packing’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more.
For those who trek the Inca Trail or Quarry Trail, you'll be camping with basic facilities. It's definitely the journey as well as the final destination (Machu Picchu) that makes this way of exploring Peru worthwhile.
Can't decide which trek is for you? Read up on them here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/inca-trail-vs-quarry-trail/
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Inca Trail Express from Lima trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available for all nights on this trip. This includes when trekking where a single tent will be provided.
2. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you. If Inca Trail permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail or travel to Machu Picchu by train.
3. The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Quarry Trail.
4. Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made to travel to Machu Picchu by train. Without this prior warning, cancellation fees for the trekking permits may apply.
5. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
6. While hiking the Inca Trail or Quarry Trail you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travellers.
7. On June 30th 2019 Peruvian authorities released a new list of regulations for visiting Machu Picchu, which came into effect from July 1st. Please see Day 6 of the itinerary for more details.
8. Please note this trip starts at 2pm on Day 1.
9. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please read the following document carefully and, during your trip, utilise the table on the back daily to record your own perspective of your general health and any symptoms you may experience: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/altitude-sickness
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information