Travel through vivacious Mexico then onto historic Havana to the Caribbean splendour of Trinidad and Cienfuegos
Discover the heart of Mexico's Aztec, Zapotec, Mayan and Spanish cultures on this journey spanning ruins, pueblos and beaches. Arrive in Mexico and travel through the mad metropolis of Mexico City to the relaxed beaches of the Yucatan Peninsula, and unravel the magnificent mystery of the ancient Mexican civilisations along the way. Then explore the charming streets of Havana, where old-time American automobiles, richly-scented Cuban cigars and an eclectic tapestry of architectures evoke a colourful past. Between the small-village vibes of Vinales and the outstanding charisma of Trinidad, discover Cienfuegos and its heartbreaking blend of Caribbean and Parisian flavours. With plenty of time to swim, snorkel, cycle and hike, this adventure combines Latin America's most colourful and exciting destinations.
You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts at the markets in multiple destinations
Eat your way through arty Oaxaca. Mole, mezcal and chocolate for dinner? Delicioso!
Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why - strolling around the ancient Mayan ruins feels pretty wondrous
Away from the thumping nightlife of Cancun, splash around, sun-bake and play on Playa del Carmen's white sandy beaches
Be swept away by the eclectic history of Cuba’s capital as you join a knowledgeable local guide on a half-day tour of Old Havana
Venture to the village of Vinales, where the small-town charms are many. Spend your time sipping rum in quaint bars with locals and exploring hidden caves in the mountains
Stop in at the mausoleum of Che Guevara for a fascinating insight into the rise and fall of the charismatic and highly celebrated Cuban revolutionary
See why Trinidad is a favourite for many Intrepid adventurers. Wander the cobblestone streets alongside cowboys and farmers and clock the best-preserved colonial buildings in Cuba
This trip involves some long days of travel by local transport, including one overnight bus. While this can be tiring, it's also a fantastic way to rub shoulders with the locals and get under the skin of a place.
Cuba is different, and that's a big part of its allure. Things don't always go according to plan, and many things don't work the same way as back home. Patience and good humour will go a long way in this beautiful destination.
Funds can be difficult to access in Cuba. Ideally bring multiple credit cards from several different banks just to be sure.
Luxuries such as air conditioning, and even toilet seats, are often scarce. Part of the experience here is learning to appreciate everyday Cuban resourcefulness.
Internet can also often patchy or unavailable – embrace the holiday from social media!
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available for purchase on this trip, except on Day 7 (Overnight bus) where you will be in shared accommodation. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
4. As this is a combination trip, the flight from Cancun to Havana on Day 15 is not included in the tour cost and it must be purchased it separately. When booking this flight, keep in mind there will be a group meeting at 6pm in Havana on this day so we recommend arriving prior to this.
5. Complimentary mid-trip airport departure and arrival transfers are included to help ease your independent connections throughout the combination trip. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
- An airport departure transfer is included from Playa del Carmen
- An airport arrival transfer is included in Havana
6. In Cuba, the airport arrival transfer driver will know the address of your assigned guesthouse.
7. Guesthouse and rooming allocations are finalised inside a week from departure based on the configuration of each travelling party. Please advise bedding configuration requests to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
8. A visa or tourist card, organised prior to arrival, is required for all nationalities visiting Cuba.
9. The Cuban government has declared that travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers. Proof of insurance may be requested at Havana Airport by immigration officials.
10. There are unprecedented changes happening in Cuba right now. It is an exciting time but it also means some patience and understanding is required for the heightened demand of infrastructure, accommodation and services. To help set your expectations correctly, please read the ‘Is this trip right for you?’ and ‘Joining point description’ sections in the Essential Trip Information Document.
11. Hurricane season in this region is June to November, when landslides, mudslides, flooding and disruptions to essential services can occur. Intrepid monitors any situations that arise, and may need to change itineraries or activities in response to these natural weather occurrences.
Our Discover Mexico & Cuba trips score an average of 4.42 out of 5 based on 12 reviews in the last year.
As retirees, we still have a zest for adventure travel to lesser known regions of this amazing planet. Although touring can at times be tiring the basic trip is an ideal way to combine variety, discovery, friendship and adventure in a wonderful cultural package along with free-time to explore individually. Intrepid have never disappointed us in the wonderful well-planned itineraries it has to offer. Give it a try. Its so much fun !
Review submitted 31 Jul 2018