Listen up, aspiring photographers/photo journalists/anyone with a pulse.
This is your chance to WIN a 10-day photo assignment, all expenses paid, among the snow-capped slopes of the Himalayas.
We’ll fly you to Nepal, where our partners World Nomads have organised a very special photo scholarship. You’ll partner up with pro photographer Richard I’Anson (aka your new mentor) to uncover the stories no-one else has found. You’ll see the lowland cities, the high mountain passes, and the community development projects that have been crucial in rebuilding tourism in the country since April’s quake.
Get your best lens ready, here come the details:
- A 10-day all-expenses-paid trip to Nepal with Intrepid Travel
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Kathmandu, Nepal
- Professional mentorship from travel photographer Richard I’Anson
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
- Plus be outfitted for the assignment with gear from Kathmandu
The 4 Runner’s Up
- A FREE 45-min portfolio review from Richard I’Anson (valued at $800 AUD)
The 25 shortlisted entrants will receive:
- The option of a 45-min portfolio review from Richard I’Anson (special rate of $400 AUD)
You will work through a specific shot list of 30 photos that will be commissioned by the scholarship partners as part of your assignment.
You’ll keep a daily journal about your time on the trip and upload this to a World Nomads travel journal (minimum 200 words per day), including pictures you’ve taken.
On your return you will work with Richard I’Anson through the editorial process to shortlist your top shots and colour grade each one.
How to apply
To apply, simply follow these 3 steps:
1. Shoot your photo story (maximum of 5 images).
Your images must tell a story about a place you have visited. ‘Place’ may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text (1-2 sentences) to help contextualise the shot.
2. Craft a 1500-character essay telling us what winning this scholarship would mean to you and why we should choose you.
Your written essay will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen.
Tell us about yourself, your passions, why you love photography, what drives you to take a better shot, where you would like to go with your photography etc. Help us form a picture in our mind of you as a person with your text.
3. Complete the application form including your personal details along with uploading your photos.
Feature image c/o Michael Foley, Flickr