Celebrate the New Year, Russian-style
Experience the festive spirit – and spirited festivities – of the Russian New Year on this special Russian Highlights adventure. See Moscow’s famous Red Square and St Basil’s Cathedral under a layer of snow and vodka-toast the old year out with a Russian family, then toast the New Year in with champagne. See the glittering treasures of the Armoury Museum, visit the Russian Santa’s residence in Veliky Ustyug and be shown the sights of grand St Petersburg. This small group trip offers an unparalleled opportunity to witness Russia during this special time of the year.
Spend the festive season surrounded by the delights of a Russian winter wonderland
Uncover winter legends in the picturesque town of Velikiy Ustyug, home to the Russian Santa Claus Ded Moroz (Father Frost)
Experience the history and traditions of the Russian orthodox faith at this important celebratory time of year
Share in unique customs with locals on an overnight homestay in Suzdal. Lend a hand with a traditional feast and ring in the New Year with your hosts
This trip involves two very long (24 hour) overnight train journeys. Conditions are simple but comfortable – a truly Intrepid experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals.
You will get to experience a variety of accommodation – guesthouses, hotels, and overnight trains - allowing you to see different sides of Russian life.
You will be travelling during the Russian winter when it gets very cold, with temperatures dropping well below zero. Please make sure that you have adequate clothing for these conditions (coat, hat, scarf, gloves, base layer) and sturdy shoes suitable for ice and snow.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Highlights - New Year trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, but this doesn't include guesthouses and the overnight trains.
2. Please note in order for our local operator to book train tickets in Russia, we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name (First and Last)
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's St Petersburg Office can be reached on Tel: +7 911 7033155
4. Please also make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster, civil unrest or an outbreak of bird flu) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance. Please consider carefully which performances you are going to want attend and make sure that the dates correspond to your trip. Here are some useful internet sites to check for what will be on (ballet, opera, exhibitions, etc) in Moscow and St Petersburg when you are there: www.mariinsky.ru, www.bolshoi.ru and www.ticketsofrussia.ru. In particular we recommend you see what's playing at the Bolshoi and Mariinsky, as it may be difficult to get tickets when you are there especially during White Nights in St Petersburg.
Our Russia Highlights - New Year trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 3 reviews in the last year.
I can highly recommend Intrepid. If you want to immerse yourself in a culture of your choice, interact with locals, see breathtaking sights, eat amazing cuisine and have fun and make friendships of life, then Intrepid is for you.
Review submitted 13 Jan 2017
An excellent well rounded tour. Seeing Moscow and St. Petersburg should be on everyone's list to see. But the home stay portion of this trip is really what made the experience a genuine and delicious part experience. Back warm to see Father Frost and enjoy every part of the beautiful winter and Russian landscape.
Review submitted 12 Jan 2017