Discover mystique, tradition and flair between Moscow and St Petersburg
Taste mystery and intrigue on a revealing tour of Russia - a land that lay hidden behind the Iron Curtain for decades. Experience the grandeur of Moscow, the beauty of Russia's ancient capitals Suzdal and Novgorod, and the grace of St Petersburg. Visit the intricately detailed cathedrals, historic monuments, age-old treasures and romantic landscapes of this great nation, and find the heart of enigmatic Russia.
Traveling over New Years? Take a look at our special 'Russia Highlights - New Year' Itinerary (Trip Code WBSW).
Get 20% OFF all trips when you travel before 31 March 2018. Hurry - offer only available until midnight on 25th September 2017.Terms & Conditions
Red Square has long been at the heart of Russian history – visit the austere mausoleum of Lenin, the initiator of the 1917 Russian revolution, contrasting with the eye-bulging treasure collection in the Kremlin and Armoury Museum
Discover the secrets of Russia’s oldest kremlin in Novgorod and see the Millennium Monument, which tells the story of 1,000 years of Russian history
Share in traditional tastes with a visits to the homes of our local friends in Suzdal & St Petersburg for a hearty home cooked meal, piles of pancakes and endless cups of tea
Experience the joys of train travel as we traverse by high-speed Sapsan train and on an overnight sleeper from Moscow to Novgorod.
Encounter the legacy of Russian tsar Peter the Great while exploring the enigmatic streets that showcase the many palaces and museums of St Petersburg
This trip includes an overnight train journey. Conditions are simple but comfortable – a truly Intrepid experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (4 people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages.
As well as overnight train travel, we experience a variety of different transport types on this journey high-speed train, public & private bus, metro and of course plenty of exploring on foot.
Some of the accommodation along the way is basic, staying a guesthouses with shared rooms and bathroom facilities.
Please note that on occasion Lenin's Mausoleum and Red Square may be closed to the public during regular opening hours without prior warning.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2017 - 31 December 2017
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Highlights trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding nights in the guesthouse and overnight train.
2. In order for our local operator to book train tickets we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's St Petersburg Office can be reached on Tel: +7 911 7033155
4. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. 3. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance. If you wish to book the theatre performances in Moscow, please book for Day 1 of the trip. There's no time in the evening on Day 3 to see the performances because we return to the city in the evening.
Our Russia Highlights trips score an average of 4.79 out of 5 based on 170 reviews in the last year.
Travelers seeking a luxury, relaxing vacation should avoid this trip. To get the most from the experience, one should be open to challenges and eager to learn about, understand, and adjust to the subtleties of other cultures; in shape to walk frequently; and able and willing to carry all your luggage.
Review submitted 20 Sep 2017
A great tour if you want to get a snap shot of Russia. An ideal tour for people who want to avoid the hassle of planning their holiday and just want to turn up and enjoy their holiday.
Review submitted 14 Sep 2017