Set against a backdrop of wooden churches, brooding forests and snow-capped peaks, Slovakia is a land where folktales come to life.
Boasting ancient castle ruins, cool street art and an array of cafés and bars, Slovakia offers an opportunity to discover a relatively tourist-free place before it changes forever. Still searching for its ‘famous for…’ line, Slovakia captivates its travellers with its mix of old and new, Bratislava’s quirky character and the tremendous peaks of the Tatra Mountains.
Our Slovakia trips
15 Days From £1,530
8 Days From £1,182
29 Days From £2,895
Slovakia travel highlights
Hike the majestic Tatra Mountains
Meander along the beautiful Danube
Search out ‘Peeping Toms’ in Bratislava
Explore Bratislava’s Old Town
Slovakia holiday information
At a glance
Best time to visit Slovakia
Geography and environment
Top 5 Folksy Places in Slovakia
Health and Safety
Slovakia travel FAQs
Tipping in restaurants is becoming more common in Slovakia. Leave around 10%.
Internet access is good in Slovakia. Internet cafes can be found all over the country.
Slovakia has excellent mobile phone coverage. Ensure you have global roaming activated with your carrier if you wish to use your phone.
Slovakia has western-style flushable toilets. Keep loose change handy to pay for public toilets.
Bottle of soft drink = 1 Euro
Beer in bar or restaurant = 1.50 Euro
Cup of coffee = 1.50 Euro
Three-course meal = 9 Euro
Short taxi ride = 4 Euro
Yes, tap water is considered safe to drink.
Credit cards are widely accepted.
There’s good access to ATMs in nearly all towns and cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of your trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
- 1 Jan Republic Day
- 6 Jan Epiphany
- 14 Apr Good Friday
- 17 Apr Easter Monday
- 1 May Labour Day
- 8 May Liberation Day
- 5 Jul St Cyril and St Methodius Day
- 29 Aug Slovak Uprising Day
- 1 Sep Constitution Day
- 15 Sep Lady of Sorrows' Day
- 1 Nov All Saints' Day
- 17 Nov Freedom and Democracy Day
- 24 Dec Christmas Eve
- 25 Dec Christmas Day
- 26 Dec 2nd Day of Christmas
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in Slovakia go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/slovakia/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
Top responsible travel tips for Slovakia
1. Be considerate of Slovakia’s customs, traditions, religion and culture.
2. For environmental reasons, try to avoid buying bottled water. Instead, fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
3. Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
4. Learn some local language and don't be afraid to use it - simple greetings will help break the ice.
5. Shop for locally made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive.
6. Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
7. Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.