Discover mystique, tradition and flair between Moscow and St Petersburg
Taste mystery and intrigue on a revealing tour of Russia - a land that lay hidden behind the Iron Curtain for decades. Experience the grandeur of Moscow, the beauty of Russia's ancient capitals Suzdal and Novgorod, and the grace of St Petersburg. Visit the intricately detailed cathedrals, historic monuments, age-old treasures and romantic landscapes of this great nation, and find the heart of enigmatic Russia.
Traveling over New Years? Take a look at our special 'Russia Highlights - New Year' Itinerary (Trip Code WBSW).
Red Square has long been at the heart of Russian history – visit the austere mausoleum of Lenin, the initiator of the 1917 Russian revolution, contrasting with the eye-bulging treasure collection in the Kremlin and Armoury Museum
Discover the secrets of Russia’s oldest kremlin in Novgorod and see the Millennium Monument, which tells the story of 1,000 years of Russian history
Share in traditional tastes with a visits to the homes of our local friends in Suzdal & St Petersburg for a hearty home cooked meal, piles of pancakes and endless cups of tea
Experience the joys of train travel as we traverse by high-speed Sapsan train and on an overnight sleeper from Moscow to Novgorod.
Encounter the legacy of Russian tsar Peter the Great while exploring the enigmatic streets that showcase the many palaces and museums of St Petersburg
This trip includes an overnight train journey. Conditions are simple but comfortable – a truly Intrepid experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (4 people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages.
As well as overnight train travel, we experience a variety of different transport types on this journey high-speed train, public & private bus, metro and of course plenty of exploring on foot.
Some of the accommodation along the way is basic, staying a guesthouses with shared rooms and bathroom facilities.
Please note that on occasion Lenin's Mausoleum and Red Square may be closed to the public during regular opening hours without prior warning.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Highlights trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding nights in the guesthouse and overnight train.
2. In order for our local operator to book train tickets we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's St Petersburg Office can be reached on Tel: +7 911 7033155
4. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. 3. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance. If you wish to book the theatre performances in Moscow, please book for Day 1 of the trip. There's no time in the evening on Day 3 to see the performances because we return to the city in the evening.
Our Russia Highlights trips score an average of 4.79 out of 5 based on 122 reviews in the last year.
Russian highlights was the perfect snapshot of Russia within 7 nights! Tour is a perfect mix of big cities, small towns and local experiences. The tour has the right balance of included activities and own time for you to explore your interests more. Make sure you also book, Urban Adventure Moscow Underground, this tour was amazing and a highlight for me.
Review submitted 26 Jun 2017
This trip was incredible. Seeing the world go by on the trans siberian was an awesome experience. I dont know if Mongolia would have been a country I would have considered visting before this trip but it was a definite highlight.
Review submitted 25 Jun 2017