Explore Borneo's tropical playground - the Sabah region
Borneo’s Sabah region is a natural paradise of steamy rainforests, towering mountains and beautiful beaches. This trip will get you active as you cycle through small villages, ascend to the summit of Mt Kinabalu, search the jungle for wildlife and swim through a colourful underwater world. Feast on delicious cuisine, hang out with local villagers and soak up the culture of this wild and ancient island. Borneo is the place for those with adventure in mind.
Borneo is the perfect place to be active and outdoors, and this trip will have you biking village backroads, summiting the heights of Mt Kinabalu, trekking through rainforest and island-hopping by sea kayak
With two homestays, you'll get an insight in to the 'real' Borneo at community level
Experience next-level vistas on Mt Kinabalu, descending by the via ferrata – a specially protected mountain pathway for climbers, the first of its kind in Asia
If you want to extend your adventure, you can easily book this trip in conjunction with the Wild Sarawak trip to maximise your time here
This is an active trip, and it is expected that all travellers have an excellent level of health and fitness and will be able to take part in all activities. There are no alternatives to the cycling, Mt Kinabalu climb or kayaking activities. So if these aren't for you, you may need to consider a different Borneo trip.
National Park regulations state that for the via ferrata climb you must not be older than 70 or weigh more than 100 kilograms. You also need to be above 1.3 meters in height.
That said, you don't need to be a super-athlete to take part. The fitter you are the more enjoyable the activities will be.
The most challenging part of the trip is the Mt Kinabalu climb. It is physically taxing, involves being higher than 2,800 metres, has a very early morning start, and takes the via ferrata route on the descent
The single supplement on this trip is only available for nights in Kota Kinabalu. Most other nights are in very basic multi-share accommodation and homestays. There will not be hot showers and private bathrooms every night on the trip. For many this is all part of the fun.
You will need to pack light and be prepared to spend some nights without your main luggage (Mt Kinabalu, Rainforest Camp) and just carry what you need for the day and night in a day pack.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Borneo - Hike, Bike & Kayak trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Please provide passport details at time of booking, as these are essential for booking services on this trip.
2. A Single Supplement is only available on this trip for the nights in Kota Kinabalu, Days 1, 7 and 8. lease contact your sales agent if you would like to book a sinlgle supplement. All other nights will be in multi share or twin share rooms.
3. This is a very active trip and includes time at high altitude. You will need to have an excellent level of fitness to take part in all activities.
4. National Park regulations on the Via Ferrata climb state that you must not be older than 70 or weigh more than 100 kg to embark on this route. Ypu also must be at least 1.3 meters tall.
5. Please ensure you have Travel Insurance that covers you for the Via ferrata activity on this trip. Please see further information under the "Travel Insurance" section of the trip notes
Our Borneo - Hike, Bike & Kayak trips score an average of 4.86 out of 5 based on 21 reviews in the last year.
A really good trip with a mixture of physical and cultural activities to make for a brilliant, memorable holiday.
Review submitted 08 Aug 2017
If you enjoy getting into the thick of it, the culture and the nature, then this is the trip for you! The local guides provide a unique insight into life in Sabah all while you challenge yourself in new ways. Each part of this trip had its own charm and from the homestays to the hike, you will discover just how warm and kind the Malay people are.
Review submitted 27 Jul 2017