Latvia is alive with vibrant cities, tantalising beaches, historic towns and a busy network of forests and rivers.
Latvians are proud of their past and much time and effort has been spent preserving their architectural history. Once you’ve had your fill of Baroque, Art Nouveau and Renaissance wonders, head to the nearest beer garden and make friends with some of the liveliest locals in Eastern Europe.
Our Latvia trips
11 Days From £1,462
15 Days From £1,762
22 Days From £3,340
29 Days From £4,695
36 Days From £6,385
Articles on Latvia
Latvia travel highlights
Admire Art Nouveau architecture in Riga
St Peter’s Church
Take in the views from St Peter’s Church
Museum of Occupation
Explore Latvia's dark history at the Museum of Occupation
Latvia holiday information
At a glance
Best time to visit Latvia
Geography and environment
Top 5 Architectural Delights of Latvia
Health and Safety
Latvia travel FAQs
Standard tipping in restaurants is 10% unless a service charge has been added to the bill. Round up any taxi fares.
Internet access is excellent in Latvia. Free wireless zones as well as internet cafes can be found all over the country.
Latvia has excellent mobile phone coverage. Ensure you have global roaming activated with your carrier if you wish to use your phone.
Latvia has western-style flushable toilets. Keep loose change handy to pay for public toilets.
Can of soft drink = £1
Cup of coffee = £2
Beer in a bar or restaurant = £2
Three-course meal = £15.5
Short taxi ride = £2.5
Yes, tap water is considered safe to drink.
Credit cards are widely accepted.
There’s good access to ATMs in nearly all towns and cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of your trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
- 1 Jan New Year's Day
- 14 Apr Good Friday
- 17 Apr Easter Monday
- 1 May Labour Day
- 4 May Independence Restoration Day
- 5 May Independence Restoration Day Holiday
- 23 Jun Midsummer's Eve
- 24 Jun St John's Day (Midsummer's Day)
- 18 Nov Independence Day
- 24 Dec Christmas Eve
- 25 Dec Christmas Day
- 26 Dec 2nd Day of Christmas
- 31 Dec New Year's Eve
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in Latvia go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/latvia/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
Top responsible travel tips for Latvia
- Be considerate of Latvia’s customs, traditions, religion and culture.
- For environmental reasons, try to avoid buying bottled water. Instead, fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
- Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
- Learn some local language and don't be afraid to use it - simple greetings will help break the ice.
- Shop for locally made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive.
- Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
- Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.