Journey through northern China from Beijing to Shanghai
Discover the ancient sights and modern delights of China's north. Journey from Beijing to Shanghai and travel through the ancient city of Xi'an, to the heights of Huangshan, the base of the Great Wall and deep into the Huizhou countryside. Encounter friendly people, bustling markets and amazing historical landmarks as you take in the crazy contrasts and profound experiences that render China such a remarkable country.
Overnight at the Great Wall at a family run guesthouse, and see this iconic structure without the crowds
With journeys on two sleeper trains, you'll maximise your time in your destinations, get a chance to interact with locals, and see some beautiful countryside
Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it when face-to-face with thousands of Terracotta Warriors
Venture into the idyllic Huizhou countryside and explore rural villages on foot or by bike
Discover the mountain heights of Huangshan, where the stunning rock pinnacles of the Yellow Mountain peek through atmospheric mists
This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
We cover a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days. As we use plenty of public transport, you will be better off to bring only minimal belongings, or to leave your larger luggage in Beijing/Shanghai and take a smaller bag with you to the Great Wall, Huangshan and Hongcun.
We pack a lot in, in a short amount of time, so if you have some time to spare we highly recommend extra time in Shanghai and Beijing.
This trip includes a mixture of free time and included activities, giving you choice and flexibility to pursue your own interests in China.
This trip includes overnight stays at family-run guesthouses and homestays, with more basic facilities than hotels, such as cold water showers and outdoor squat toilets.
With walks on the Great Wall and Huangshan, you'll need a good level of fitness to get the most out of this trip. Walking shoes with good support and grip are essential. There are many steps and slopes on the way, so be prepared for a tough climb at times. You'll be rewarded with sensational views!
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our North China Getaway trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding overnight trains and guesthouses
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. Please note that in witner months (Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb), we won't stay in the guesthouse at the Great Wall due to insufficient heating there. In those months, we'll visit the Great Wall on a day tour and stay in Beijing instead.
6. Please note that due to the closure of Jinshanling Great Wall from 10th May 2017, we'll change our Great Wall stay and guesthouses to Jiankou - Mutianyu section. Details please check day to day itinerary.
Our North China Getaway trips score an average of 4.83 out of 5 based on 36 reviews in the last year.
This trip is a great way to see China. We got to see different parts of the country in two weeks. Staying in guest houses is a great way to interact with locals.
Review submitted 22 Jun 2017
China is great and with Leon Qin it will become the BEST...
Review submitted 31 May 2017