- The Intrepid Experience
- About Intrepid
- Booking Intrepid
get one FREE
Up to 20% OFF
AsiaFind out more
25% OFF our
Arctic adventureFind out more
Kili Climb - Rise to
the ChallengeFind out more
Late discountsUp to 25% OFF
Nau + Intrepid
Travel GiveawayEnter to win
Check out our
Food AdventuresFind out more
Check out our
Sailing AdventuresFind out more
Check out our
Family AdventuresFind out more
World TourWatch it now
competitionFind out how to enter
Au PairsFind out more
2013 BrochuresView. Order. Download.
Explore Timor-Leste on the least travelled road in Asia
Travel into a land relatively untouched by tourism, and one of the world's newest democracies, Timor-Leste. We climb mountains, explore villages, enjoy some holiday time on secluded beaches and cross into the Wetar Strait for a privileged view of the sights and sounds hidden in this emerging nation. With an emphasis on local communities, there will be ample opportunities to share in the lives of the locals and contribute to rebuilding efforts.
Timor-Leste SummaryAdd to Shortlist
Though retaining the feel of a Portuguese outpost, Dili is beginning to forge its own identity. Take in the sights of Timor-Leste's capital city on a half-day tour, leaving plenty of time to explore the local weaving markets or perhaps visit the Xanana Gusmao Reading Room.
Head out of the city by 4x4, winding through hillside coffee plantations and cornfields. Stop for a night in a Portuguese-style pousada in Maubisse before continuing on to Hato Builiko. Roam about the local market watching the village farmers trading goods as they have done for centuries.
Travel through lush rainforest and farmland to Suai, renowned for its traditional weaving and soccer-mad locals. Rise early to hike up Mt Ramelau - Timor-Leste's highest peak - where fresh, mountain air, scenic vistas and a statue of the Virgin Mary on the summit await.
Make tracks back to busy Dili via the town of Balibo.
Be on the lookout for whales and dolphins while cruising across the Wetar Strait. As guests of an ecotourism project that supports the local community, stay in simple beach huts while enjoying the tranquillity of Atauro Island. Take the chance to explore the region in an outrigger.
Experience the traditional life of the Timorese as we head east into a lush area of rice paddies, peanut farms and vegetable fields. From a base in Baucau, drive to Venilale along a winding road flanked by gigantic old trees. Check out cave hideouts used during World War II and trek through the forest to Mt Ariana.
Learn how weaving and basketry are contributing to community development in Los Palos. Then head east, looking out for traditional spirit houses and soaking up incredible scenery. Arrive in the village of Tutuala - the perfect base for explorations of nearby Jaco Island.
Return to Dili, enjoying a stop at Com Beach along the way.
What's included in this trip
Treasures of Asia 20% OFF Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia & Timor
1. To receive the 20% discount you must quote promo code 10184 at the time of booking.
2. The discount is only valid on the following selection of trips:
TPST Timor - Leste
TTRO Essential Thailand
TTZF Bite Size Break - Thailand
TZZZC Phuket Sailing Adventure
TTSL Philippine Discovery
TISL Discover Lombok
TMSA Best of Malaysia
TMKB Classic Borneo
3. The offer applies to bookings made between 1ST June – 15th July for travel commencing on or prior to 15th December 2013
4. The discounts can be applied to new bookings only. Under no circumstances will the discounts be applied to existing bookings.
5. A deposit of AUD/NZD/USD/CAD/CHF250, GBP150, EUR200 and ZAR2000 is required at the time of booking. For those not residing in the above mentioned countries a deposit of USD$250 is required.
6. Full payment is required no later than 15th July 2013 or within 60 days to departure whichever comes first. If full payment is not received at this time it could jeopardise the status of your booking.
7. There will be no extensions to the travel, booking or payment periods listed above.
8. The 20% discount cannot be combined or used in conjunction with any other offers.
9. The discount can be applied to land only bookings, and cannot be applied to airfares, trip kitties, travel insurance, extra accommodation, single supplements or visas etc.
10. Intrepid Travel's Booking Conditions will also apply to the trip booked, and it is imperative that you examine those conditions before booking with Intrepid Travel. The most up to date Booking Conditions are accessible at http://www.intrepidtravel.com/booking-intrepid/booking-conditions
11. As outlined in the Intrepid Travel Booking Conditions, travel insurance is compulsory for all Intrepid Travel travellers and should be taken out prior to or at the time of booking. Please see the Booking Conditions for more details in this regard.
12. The trip is subject to availability and confirmation by Intrepid Travel at time of booking.
13. Trip prices and itineraries are subject to change at any time, including after booking. If there is a significant price change to a trip that is outside the control of Intrepid Travel (for example a significant increase in third party service provider costs), travellers may need to be re-invoiced at the new price. Promotions & discounts will still apply to the new price.
Travellers who experienced this trip have rated it…
99% of travellers say they would travel with us again.