Roupa Suja Project, Brazil
Uniao de Mulheres Pró Melhoramento da Roupa Suja (UMPMRS) - translates roughly to the Union of Women for the Improvement of Roupa Suja. UMPMRS works to improve the lives of families living in favelas in the Roupa Souja neighbourhood. Most of the houses in the slum are made of rough concrete and have no access to basic facilities; residents have poor health, hygiene, and limited access to education and child minding services.
UMPMRS provides a number of services to the families and children in the neighborhood including;
- Day care and preschool - from 3 months to 5 years.
- After school support classes, English classes and computer classes for elementary school students - for more than 70 people from the neighbourhood - helping prevent them dropping out of school.
- Social assistance for young and single mothers.
- General family assistance (pediatrician, social worker and psychologist).
- The women's group.
- Job training and support (predominantly for women).
UMPMRS is staffed with residents of the local community - providing more job opportunities, as well as supporting families in the area who want to better their own community. The staff currently includes 10 women from the community and 2 maintenance men.
If you would like to contribute and help us raise much needed funds for this project, please click the donate button below: